Deepin Linux: Security Threat or Safe to Use?

Is Deepin safe to use, keep seeing stories like this pop up more & more.

https://linuxinsider.com/story/deepin-linux-security-threat-or-safe-to-use-86044.html

https://www.maketecheasier.com/deepin-linux-review/

A linux distro with a EULA? :thinking:

Most of that applies to Deepin Linux the distro as opposed to running dde on Arch.

However, that being said, on another forum a user took a look at the traffic and did find some traffic going to www.wshifen.com so there is something going on. It might be innocuous and I have not inspected it myself.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

Qualify “Safe” please. DDE may remove (what’s left of) your sanity.

I haven’t tried it for a year or so. It has always looked nice but was far, far away from being user-configurable. YMMV.

regards

1 Like

Well, with deepin 20 it is less configurable than it used to be :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Poor deepin turned into the bastard child of gnome and Kwin with a dash of “why not it doesn’t work anyway” Qt. Honestly I am not sure what felixonmars, electricface, and crew are thinking.

I have retreated to cinnamon for now lol.

Wouldn’t EndeavourOS with Plasma be a better option then Deepin DE? Isn’t Deepin based off of Plasma?

If you need a fully working system then, probably yes. However, the same could be said about switching to any other DE that EOS offers. :wink:

Sort of? Deepin uses the Window Manager from plasma, kwin. That being said, it isn’t really based on plasma other than that and it is very different than plasma.

2 Likes

It’s up to the users use case and workflow. Deepin really isn’t like any other DE. I just gravitate back to cinnamon because that is my second choice for my use case and workflow. :wink:

2 Likes

what’s so different about it except its annoying style, restricted customization options and lots of bugs? :slight_smile:

It wasn’t always that way. I used deepin for a long time and I am biased. I will recuse myself from this conversation now. It’s not your post it’s my decision I made (that I am currently ignoring) to not post about deepin anymore :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Some people really like that “annoying style”. Many people also are overwhelmed by a DE with lots of options and want something that works without needing any customization.

If I am being honest, I don’t really get that second thing but I see it mentioned a lot by others.

2 Likes

I like it too, at first, but it quickly gets annoying. I know it may seem contradictory, but it is not :sweat_smile:

I didn’t mean to come off as a Deepin hater, sorry if I did.

2 Likes

I used to like it! Not anymore. The version 15 i liked to some degree and it worked. It’s not a matter of whether it’s Beta. Beta should work! It’s just not good in my opinion at this stage. Just my opinion! :expressionless:

5 Likes

Please don’t. Did you mean recuse? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

(regards)

4 Likes

I used deepinOS for a long time also. I like deepinOS much better than the arch version with deepin added. But that was a while ago.

I have now installed eos Cinnamon version and really like it. I guessing you already know of the neat trick to get transparency on the panel.

2 Likes

I figure it’s what happens when graphic designers drive the whole thing. It reminds me of Chrysler in recent years… lots of them look really good, but watch out for the recalls! Of course, if all you do is look at it, rather than driving it daily… :grin:

1 Like

felixonmars reported elsewhere that the traffic that was being seen with DDE on Arch was it’s connectivity test and he has patched the Arch version to access www.archlinux.org instead.

4 Likes

Looks like today’s set of updates fixed many nagging issues. As well as updating to the latest kernel without issue.

2 Likes

I just updated too :slight_smile: Window Effects seem to be fixed and it switches to light/dark mode automatically now. I am actually enjoying using this DE, it feels very natural on a laptop and light. Nice to see it getting fixes and improvements every day.

2 Likes