Deepin 20 Arrived

Can anyone clarify the best way to prevent deepin from upgrading yet allow the other arch updates? I’m concerned I’d miss a relevant package if I just uncheck everything with “deepin” in the list of updates…for example the login manager some folks have reported issues with.

It seems that the solution has arrived in the Deepin updates

I did a test in VM plus graphics bug

Wallpaper issue is still there though (for me anyway) … at least there is a workaround for that.

1 Like

It is probably going to be fairly impractical to do this. Since the beta of deepin v20 has now reached Arch stable. It is likely to be a while before it is actually stable enough to be fully confident in for daily use. Since EOS is rolling, the libraries that deepin is linked to are going to change over time and then the deepin packages will need to be rebuilt to support them.

As an alternative, I would consider installing a second DE if deepin isn’t currently stable enough for your use case. That way you can get updates and still have another working desktop

1 Like

I ran Deepin 20 in v-box on both my new machines and i get total freezing after a few minutes from starting it and have to cold boot. The old version is fine. Just saying.

I’m using Deepin on a daily basis and except the icon issue from yesterday which was solved by the update of the qt integration package I ran into no conflicts that disturb my working routine. Everything is running smooth.

I am only testing it but my summary would be that in it’s current state as of this moment it is mostly usable but somewhat flawed.

It certainly is working enough to be used to open and run apps. It still looks pretty but it seems to be less customizable than it once was. There are definitely still bugs here and there.

On mine it just freezes in v-box. Not sure if it was installed it would be okay but in v-box it’s not for me. This is also exactly the same on two completely different new machines of different hardware. One is Intel with Nvidia and the other is Ryzen with Radeon. Not sure if it’s v-box doesn’t like something but the old version i don’t have that issue.

you have no problem to change the wallpaper, I know, we don’t change every day

I do encounter this problem too but it is not major to me since as you said i do not change my wallpaper often.
But as I said beside a few bugs that are mentioned here and in other threads i can work with no interruption. I am using it on a thinkpad t480.

I tried the full install of the new Deepin on bare metal but I’m still getting freezing. Just takes a little longer and is slightly different but non the less it’s no good and annoying. So it’s no for me!

2 Likes

Did you install deepin-kwin, deepin-anything-dkms and linux-headers?

Those currently seem required for stability. Also, I believe Deepin v20 is targeting kwin so installing deepin-kwin is probably the right thing to do regardless.

2 Likes

No i didn’t as i didn’t know what is causing it to freeze especially in v-box. So i tried it on bare metal and it just took a little longer to freeze although not everything was frozen so it was different. What is deepin-anything-dkms? I thought headers were automatically installed? Not using lts.

It is an alternative to deepin-anything-arch. deepin anything is the file search engine. I am not sure why, but I couldn’t get desktop images to persist across reboots without that package.

On the other hand, there were lots of things not working before I installed deepin-kwin

I am minimal kind of guy so I uncheck almost everything the installer lets me uncheck. :nerd_face: It is probably in the Common Packages section.

I did deepin tests on virtualbox however I put 8giga and 126mo graphics level and it works

Htop also doesn’t work.
Edit: After it froze i was able to get those packages loaded and now it seems to not be freezing yet anyway on v-box.

Edit2: Spoke too soon … so the window is freezing when you open file browser.

htop is working here on kwin:

This is under vmware.

I will install vmware and try it. Do you have the pro version?