DE suggestions

• 2x M.2 2280 for NVME (PCI-Express 4.0 x4)
  • Intel Optane Technology

So I can put the same one as a second

Check with Tuxedo on that to make sure. I would think that it’s backward compatible like Pci-E slots for graphics cards. You could also go with the non pro Samsung 980 or other because it will be less expensive. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

In case no Nvidia, no VirtualBox let give Hyprland a shot. WM:sway. Arco is not an enemy. Choose Simple Install version first. Sorry guys I’m only 69 and used all WM-s you mentioned here. I’ll be back if I find something terrible in Hyprland.
I started testing EOS community edition Sway. Seems to be less polished for me.
(Hypr ab ovo handles HDMI monitor loudspeakers, in Sway I installed pulseaudio (removes pipewire-pulse), started with systemctl pulseaudio which stopped Pipewire and sound arrives to my Philips monitor). The command swaymsg is misssing in hypr, where config is not spread into different files. Keyboard layout handling is similar kb_layout vs xkb_layout. Toggle kb_option works in Hypr in Sway under construction.
These are tiny things. Hard to say sg without bias.
Edit: On Wayland I found clicking problems in chromium like browsers both EOS community ed. Sway and Arco Hyprland.
I might be a heretic but tried the new Archcraft. I’m amazed by it. Plus I took a risk of buying a coffee to get a hypr pkg. with sway. So far soo good. I’m in heaven now.

@Brtza
You said you already have the laptop? Have you done any install on it yet?

Why you don’t suggest BTRFS ?

Any specific reason to stick with ext4 ? What is the backup solution then?

Plasma is the most fluid DE when I have 2 monitors. It runs super smooth without any hiccups under xorg.

All other DE lagged.

Ive never ever had any issues that users talk about. Doesn’t matter what desktop. The only issues i ever run into is sometimes vm doesn’t work properly and it can be with v-box or virt manger or other. I usually use virtualbox but now i use vmware workstation pro. It’s only for a purpose. I don’t run my fulltime OS in vm. Virtulabox isn’t working anymore for me with 3D enabled so it’s useless for some purposes.

Edit: If stuff doesn’t work i use something else. Not everything works the same.

I’ve had good experience with KVM/QEMU VM.
I agree that with Linux we have plenty of choices at the end. Use something that works and move on

1 Like

I don’t like Qemu as much. I have used it but it’s hard to get it to set the resolutions correctly something that virtualbox and vmware do flawlessly every single time.

Edit: So as i say. It doesn’t do what i want. I use something else.

Nah, I ordered it. It should be with me for 2 weeks

Using btrfs is not a substitute for a good, external backup. No fancy filesystem is a substitute for backup. Your data is not safer on a btrfs filesystem, even if you have snapshots. The fact you even ask these two questions together suggests to me that you should probably stick to ext4.

With that out of the way, why do I recommend ext4? Because, for most users, it is quite enough, and being a simpler filesystem, there is less chances of something going wrong due to user error. Now, if you have a valid reason for using btrfs, sure, that’s fine. Then you know exactly why you need btrfs.

But fashion is not a valid reason, yet most users use it for that reason. Most btrfs users couldn’t even tell you what a balanced tree is, or even what copy-on-write is.

1 Like

btw , which DE has the best options for windows manipulation ( I dont know exact name xD)

I want to see multiple windows on the same computer screen (as I am developer, I am using Visual studio code, lot of other tabs opened), something like this :

There is no perfect solution, but

In action (not me)

2 Likes

I think Awesome is great. If you can handle lua you have almost endless possibilities.

2 Likes

I am not sure if WM would be great options for me. At least I remember that before I had issues, how to setup it, how to use it faster etc.

I think for the start KDE, Gnome would be better ( plug and play ) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah KDE is best DE imo. And you can even ad your own rules how/where you windows will spawn.

2 Likes

A swap partition or file is required. File system, EXT4, but if you’re more daring, BTRFS. Desktop environment: try both KDE Plasma and Gnome and choose the one you like. If you want something stable and configurable, then Xfce is for you. I used Xfce and Cinnamon for a long time, then I was tempted when Gnome 43 was released, but then I ended up with KDE.

1 Like

Swap file or swap partition - what is better/healthier for SSD drive ?

I used before BTRFS , but I am not fully familiar how to keep them in ok way , how to maintenance them

Sure most users may not know the technical term or meaning for those terms but what attracts me to BTRFS is the ability to quickly take snapshot and rollback my “system” if an update breaks.

I agree with the simplicity and stability of the ext4 file system. I suppose everyone has their use case for one system over the other

I find scaling an issue on laptop/external monitors when I use my T480 (Arch + Plasma + X11)

However, I also have the Lenovo Tinypc M93p which has 2 external display ports and those work fine on external monitors and KVM.