DE suggestions

Hi all,

While I am waiting for my new laptop to come, I want to prepare.
As I used Linux (Eos) like year ago, I am out of news and all good things about Linux.

I want stable (not too stable xD) DE, great design. Finally I can ditch Windows 4ever.
Also which file system to use and do I need swap etc ?

1 Like

A DE is entirely a personal preference.

They will all work well on any relatively modern hardware and are all relatively stable at this point. Of course, things like mate/xfce are more stable than kde/gnome/cinnamon/budgie because they are getting more frequent changes still.

As long as you avoid Deepin, you should be fine.

I would recommend most people checkout both plasma and gnome since they are the most widely used and represent opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to most design decisions.

Also, there haven’t been any major DE shifts in the last year so whatever you liked a year ago is probably still a good choice.

8 Likes

What DE have you been using with EOS? What do you like and dislike about it?

1 Like

What DE? Plasma, it’s the only sensible choice.

What filesystem? If you have to ask, the answer is probably ext4.

Do you need swap? Yes, everyone needs swap. Either a swap partition, or a swap file.

2 Likes

It’s important to look at which apps you will use.
If you prefer in majority, QT apps, then KDE/Plasma is the best choice.
If you prefer using GTK apps, Gnome should be the best choice.

Note that QT is not totally free. GTK and Gnome are the liberty choice :wink:

2 Likes

GTK programs run perfectly fine on Plasma. GNOME is never a good choice, unless you enjoy pain and want your computer to boss you around.

Yeah, that’s why they tried to cancel Richard Stallman. They are so for freedom… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

QT is free for open-source projekts, you can publish GTK and QT software under the LGPL license.

Qt is available under both commercial licenses[4] and open-source[13] GPL 2.0, GPL 3.0, and LGPL 3.0 licenses.[5][6]

source:Wikipedia

GTK

It is licensed under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License, allowing both free and proprietary software to use it.

source:Wikipedia

:nerd_face:

1 Like

I was going to say GNOME.
Ooops, I said it :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

DE is entirely up to you. My suggestions:

GNOME
Cinnamon
KDE
xfce

And as stated, if you don’t know which fs, or swap, the answers in general are: ext4/yes

1 Like

Which laptop did you finally order? As for desktop I don’t think you can go wrong with Xfce. But honestly any of the desktops would be good. It depends on what you like in terms of how its works and how you use it.

2 Likes

Xfce - fast, easy to use, but old look
KDE- almost no issues, lot of possibility
Gnome- nice one, like it, but kinda heavy on ram. But now I will have 32gb so
BSPWM- lightweight, complicate to get look what I like :slight_smile: but I like keyboard oriented WM

Hey,
I ordered from Tuxedo. After few months, finally I got it. After all laptops, tons of visit of different stores, even Mac was in consideration xD

Yes, I think I will make bootable usb and try them all :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember that you are KDE lover :slight_smile:
But yes, I like KDE , and definitely I will try it

2 Likes

Yes, I know. And I never stick with one DE or WM longer than few months :slight_smile:
But now need to find one.

I dont like Deepin :slight_smile: Kde and Gnome - will try both

1 Like

Good to know, but I dont know where to look or which app I will use ( are they QT or GTK ) xD

KDE is also a little heavy on ram compared to Xfce but is closer to Cinnamon and Gnome but with 32 GB i don’t see any issues. I also have 32 GB and i do most of my testing with KDE host. The reason i like KDE is using it feels fast and fluid. I like using kate, konsole, yakuake and any packages i want to install work great. I don’t use it with Wayland but you can and it does work well for the most part. Only you can really decide what you like, what you don’t like and what you are willing to put up with if there is something that annoys you about the way it works.

Edit: This goes for any of the desktops.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Yep that’s Gnome. :laughing:

A Prius is light on resources. A Ferrari isn’t.

Which would you rather have though?

1 Like

Here is screenshot of KDE plasma :rofl: for those who like the classical start menu experience :wink:

Edit: sorry wrong year

5 Likes