Date and Time showing in a different language

I’m running out of ideas on what else to check for. Everything seems good, but for some reason, my date/time is showing in Spanish. I did not set up anything in spanish at all during my setup, except the fact that my timezone is America/Puerto Rico, but other than that, everything should be in english, but for some reason, the Date and Time is showing in spanish.

Both in Terminal and the desktop environment, and as far as I can tell, its the only thing showing in spanish. I tried to change the location to the US but that didn’t work either. Thoughts?

What’s DE, KDE?
There was a buggy behavior recently about it

Currently using Cinnamon.

Hmm…
What’s your

locale -a

and

locale
[pedro@Pedro-Inspiron5050 ~]$ locale -a
C
en_US.utf8
es_PR.utf8
POSIX
[pedro@Pedro-Inspiron5050 ~]$ locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC=es_PR.UTF-8
LC_TIME=es_PR.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY=es_PR.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER=es_PR.UTF-8
LC_NAME=es_PR.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=es_PR.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=es_PR.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=es_PR.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=es_PR.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

I quite honestly have no idea how that got set up that way. I never ever chose anything in spanish.

Ok i see, then you need to go to
/etc/locale.conf

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8

Set everything like that for full american english, and make sure that your ~/.bashrc doesn’t have definitions with small “utf8”, see this:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=913510#p913510

I don’t remember how to apply / regenerate locale, so probably just logout would be fastest way :wink:

P.S. I believe it’s initially caused by choosing non-english language on input in Calamares during installation, it will set all those other environment variables like time etc to this locale, regardless of timezone / language choice…

Not really handy, but that’s how it goes for some reason :thinking:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot @keybrake, this solved the issue. :slight_smile:

I feel so silly now that I missed checking the locale in the first place.

2 Likes

Naaah that’s fine!

This bugged me so hard that i’ve met locale for the first time not so long ago :sweat_smile:
Usually GUI locale changes in settings worked just fine, but KDE had it’s quirks for me and this Calamares behavior too :slight_smile:

2 Likes