Customize/Theme GDM login?

I like Gnome a lot, and 43 has had it’s share of headaches, but it’s mostly acceptable, even though I think it will have to wait for 44+

What I don’t like is that plain old login screen with a blue signing box. Nowhere else in my Gnome setup do I use that color blue and it just looks like it’s from a different distro and just tacked on to fill a void.

Surely there must be an easy way to theme/customize the look of GDM?

This is not a new discussion. the same questions were asked in 2019, Change the login screen wallpaper and amazingly the same /usr/share/gdm/themes/drbl-gdm folders with the same silly files are there today.

:warning:
Not having used this myself, the following is not a personal recommendation but a suggestion for something to perhaps look into. Good luck!

Perhaps something like this or this?

It’s certainly worth giving it a try, thanks @pebcak
I also wonder if any of those files or that drbl-gdm folder could be deleted?

I don’t even have a themes directory under /usr/share/gdm :thinking:

ls -l /usr/share/gdm/
total 24
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   30 Oct 20 22:09 gdb-cmd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3440 Oct 20 22:09 gdm.schemas
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Oct 14 17:33 greeter
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4444 Oct 20 22:09 greeter-dconf-defaults
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  261 Oct 20 22:09 locale.alias

Have you installed a theme yourself into that directory?

No, it’s only ever had Gnome 43 on it since I had to reformat with that grub fiasco.

I did a bit of digging. Those files and folders seem to belong to

pacman -Ss drbl 
community/drbl 2.30.5-3
    Diskless Remote Boot in Linux: manage the deployment of the GNU/Linux operating system across many clients

It looks to be a dependency of clonezilla .

Hi,

This is the tool I am using to change my login screen wallpaper. It hasn’t been in development for about 3 years:

Thank you for you diligence.

Now that you mention it, I did try to install Clonezilla at one time, but could not get it working.

At this point I have a new problem and Clonezilla may just be part of the solution. I will open a new thread in newbie, since it’s an issue new users may be facing.