Current status of Wayland with Plasma

Current status of Wayland with Plasma: unusable, because there is still no viable alternative for Xeyes.

eyes

Also if simple screen recorder would work i might use it. I don’t want to use OBS studio or some other bloated program.

1 Like

Hey Kresimir, did you get a chance to look at the resources I linked in that thread? It might help you write that Weyes program yourself.

I haven’t figured it out yet. A simple example in C that opens an empty window and prints the global coordinates of the mouse pointer and position and size of its window (in global coordinates, of course) to the stdout repeatedly in a loop is pretty much all I need. But I have doubts whether that is even possible with Wayland.

That was what I was thinking Nate, he should just start a new project to design Weyes…you beat me to proposing it.

I’m talking about this reply here: Alternative for Xeyes that works with Wayland? - #37 by nate

it contains resources that could help with that task.

Maybe I’m missing something, but most of that does not seem to be useful to what I need.

If you have figured it out, a working C/C++ example would be most welcome. It does not have to draw the eyes, that’s the easy part, it just needs to print out 6 numbers in a loop (and should work while its window is not focused).

It’s javascript but I noticed this line in the source code, that’s why I linked it:

let [pointerX, pointerY, pointerZ] = global.get_pointer();

So an extension has access to those coordinates. I’d investigate that global thing.

LOL, yeah JavaScript is useless here, because that’s just interfacing with some GNOME API or something like that. We need to go lower…

Wayland on Plasma has been progressively more usable for me on my work laptop, especially with the release of 5.24. Trying it as a daily driver again.

1 Like

I’m not using Plasma, and perhaps this is unrelated to your problem, but for Firefox to work for me on Sway it needs to be run with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1.

5 Likes

I currently use xrandr in a script to switch my 4 “Layouts” with left/right of, primary and pos stuff.

e. g. big, big widescreen left as main and laptop right as second, bottom adjusted:

xrandr --output $INT --auto --pos 3840x520 --output $EXT --mode 3840x1600 --rate 60.00 --primary

I already looked for a wayland tool to achieve this but no success. Any idea what to use?

The KDE subreddit has some guidance for users wanting to test KDE Plasma on Wayland. It’s way down in the sidebar on the RHS of the page.

I don’t know how current the guidance is.

@Celty

Checked about:config and it is enabled.
Thanks.
Some day soon Wayland will be useable in Plasma

I don’t believe it is set in about:config. I think it needs to be set as an env variable, either in your shell or included in the .desktop file. You can tell whether it is enabled or not in about:support. Relevant ArchWiki entry.

Or the better place to set environment variable for all users /etc/environment. Seems a lot less messy that in your shell startup scripts (to me).

I prefer setting them in my zprofile because it is part of the dotfiles I keep on GitLab. Makes transferring them to new machines a breeze. If I set them in /etc/environment I would inevitably forget to back it up and frankly, I don’t remember all of them. To each their own, of course.

I have been using wayland and pipewire on Plasma for several months now…It has been really stable for me.

3 Likes

You’re not gaming on it though?

I absolutely game on it, otherwise to me that is not stable.

2 Likes