Could not upgrade system/ how to fix?

Starting full system upgrade…

core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
endeavouros is up to date
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/gst-plugins-bad-libs-1.18.0-2/desc: No such file or directory

resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
warning: could not fully load metadata for package gst-plugins-bad-libs-1.18.0-2
error: failed to prepare transaction (invalid or corrupted package)

If you sudo pacman -R that package does it work?

Removing those gst plugins shouldn’t break anything AFAIK

[richardc@AM3 ~]$ sudo pacman -R gst-plugins-bad-libs
[sudo] password for richardc:
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/gst-plugins-bad-libs-1.18.0-2/desc: No such file or directory
warning: could not fully load metadata for package gst-plugins-bad-libs-1.18.0-2
checking dependencies…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing gst-plugins-bad-libs breaks dependency ‘gst-plugins-bad-libs=1.18.0’ required by gst-plugins-bad
[richardc@AM3 ~]$

OK try

Sudo pacman -R gst-plugins-bad gst-plugins-bad-libs

If it tries to remove a bunch of dependencies though I might hesitate. AFAIK gst plugins bad isn’t a required dependency for things so if you want to uninstall those then see if you can update then reinstall the plugins

I want to stress this, the only reason I’m even suggesting pacman -R in this case is its just gstreamer plugins so its unlikely to break your system.

In any other situation I’d exercise caution doing that

@rich52
I would suggest updating the mirrors first from the welcome app.

Then run sudo pacman -Syyu

2 Likes

This may be a better solution than my sledge hammer approach lol

1 Like

what gives:

ls /var/lib/pacman/local/ 

looks like broken pacman db…

@rich52
Easy to fix, please read :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Fixed the problem last night. . .got rid of the two files that seemed corrupted. But also had to remove some apps like kamoso, cheese, pitivi in order to remove the offenders. I downloaded and installed 290 packages and installed them without a hitch. Now the problem is getting pitivi, cheese and kamoso to download and installed because there are still issues because of the removed files, at least that’s what I’m seeing. I’m typing this on another computer for now that works with the latest software so no issues here. . .

Thanks for the help and quick responses. . . . (BTW I’ve did what everyone else suggested in earlier posts.

4 Likes

Pretty certain the thread linked by @keybreak above contains steps which will work. :wink:

4 Likes