Coming in December...Steam Deck

I can’t wait to see how you think it works and if EndeavourOS installs on it would be awesome!

1 Like

I am excited for it!

Initially I didn’t wanted one, since I don;t do handheld gaming, but seeing as it’s a small PC, and the docking… I am curious to test it all out.

That and I want to support Valve and buying one is +1 on the statistics so hopefully, if it all pans out, Linux and gaming will be in a much better place eventually.

On the site they did say they plan to have all games working AND they will have a solution for the AntiCheat.

I am very curious what they have been doing inside regarding that. Would be awesome to be able to play all MP games and that is one of the big things they need to get for this to take off (and to convert normal users that want Linux but can’t because of AntiCheat games).

I got the 256GB model, should be arriving Q1 2022.

2 Likes

i have to admit, i was pretty surprised to hear about SteamOS being based on Arch. Sure, newer packages, but the rolling nature and no corporate backing on the other hand, i’m not sure about. But at least you can buy a Steam Deck now and tell all those Playstation, XBox or Nintendo Switch noobs
“i use arch btw”

right? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah that sounds absolutely and totally insane to use Arch for a console…
Which is GREAT!

Because they’ll be very interested to improve Arch stability upstream even more :upside_down_face:

Indeed. While I will probably never use Steam myself (with it being proprietary soyftware and spyware), I see Valve’s involvement with Arch as potentially very beneficial.

1 Like

yes, that came to my mind as well. It could help improve Arch in various ways…

Out of curiosity, are we sure they are using Arch on the production hardware? It is possible they are only using for the pre-release demos.

1 Like

how dare you, question their use of Arch on production hardware! :laughing:

But seriously, it’s a good question. I only read about SteamOS being based on Arch in general…

1 Like

Some guy asked a Valve employee on Reddit if pacman will work as expected on SteamOS and the employee said “yes, pacman (and therefor arch), will work as you expect”.

2 Likes

My guess is that they’ll follow a similar concept as Manjaro where they have their own package repositories and updates (coming from arch) are being moved into those after some internal testing.

2 Likes

I believe this as well.

This way they can focus on bleeding edge when it suits them but in other areas more stability.

:rofl:

4 Likes

As per usual, M.O. brings up excellent points.

The console’s name could be an issue in some countries:

1 Like