Clarification: The linux-lts kernel is aimed at Server usage by its maintainer

Thanks for the Info @BS86 :+1:

2 Likes

I think itā€™s pretty stupid decision on their part (although not much has changed really).
Also i try to imagine anyone sane using Arch Linux as a serverā€¦ :rofl:

P.S. Even :clown_face: wouldnā€™t use Arch as a server, itā€™s just too nuts.

4 Likes

Thanks @BS86 for the effort and clarification!
It has been an illuminating discussion to follow.

1 Like

So if i understand right Andreas Radke still does not confirm that lts is aimed at server use nor does he confirm that the stable kernel is aimed at desktop use.

Imho this means nothing to stake your claim that lts is config-ed for server use

At the end of the day, youā€™re here to use your computer in the manner you want.

Itā€™s my recommendation. Definitely. Until I see compelling evidence otherwise, thereā€™s no reason to change.

1 Like

I run my Thinkpad like an Arch Server. LTS all the way (Zen as backup).

2 Likes

Well - I for one donā€™t bother with it on my server. Any configs that ā€˜upgradeā€™ it for server use are not of sufficient significance to matter to me. I have always viewed it as an ā€˜older, more stableā€™ version of the mainstream kernel - great as a fallback option, or as a potential trouble avoider for those not hung up on the ā€˜latest and greatestā€™ bandwagon (like me - I came to Arch-based because I wanted the newest kernel, but rarely needed it except when building a new box).

BTW, Arch-based make excellent servers for 99+% uptime - just not for 24/7. Mine goes down for 5 minutes (updates) most weeks - but thatā€™s all.

minor note - Linux is not about the rigourous application of logic to all choices - especially if that application is by someone else!
2 Likes

I donā€™t think so. The fact that the maintainer considers server usage when building the kernel has no bearing on that recommendation. The fact that it is far more stable than the mainline kernel is still true.

That guide is about keeping your PC easy to maintain and limiting the chance of breakage.

Lastly, maintained with servers in mind doesnā€™t imply that it shouldnā€™t be used for desktop usage.

13 Likes

Except one would definitely want to set preempt=full when using on desktopā€¦

Iā€™m old enough to recall when the general advice was keep the last three kernels to increase likelihood of a successful boot. There were even scripts (probably still are) for doing that. With the LTS kernel, I kinda kept that mindset. Iā€™d roll with the latest, but have the LTS as my backup. For a while, I was running ā€œReal Time Kernelsā€ because I wanted to use my computer as a guitar amp (ala Guitarix) and latency is bad for that.

These days, kernels are generally a lot more stable and my mindset is shifted to, "Install whatever kernel you want/need, but always install the LTS kernel; if not as your main, then as your backup.

My overall experience running the LTS kernel is that is perfectly fine for general use. Although (and this is just a personal thing) it feels weird to have only one kernel on a linux distro.

I disagree with the OP, too. I run the LTS kernel on all my machines, and that is what I recommend to everyone.

The fact is, most users cannot tell any difference in performance or stability between using the mainline or LTS kernel. There is no noticeable difference in almost all cases. Therefore, you get absolutely no realistic value from running the mainline kernel. If Iā€™m wrong on this, I still have to be corrected.

On the other hand, regressions and bugs are indisputably rarer on the LTS kernel, and therefore, by using it, you significantly lower the chance of being impacted by them. Kernel regressions have been known to cause filesystem corruption and similar problems, so itā€™s not something that should be dismissed lightly.

The only use case for mainline kernel over LTS that I would recommend is when using very new hardware (half a year old at most), which is not yet supported by the LTS kernel.

4 Likes

Youā€™re not correct.

Lately heā€™ve changed preempt to settings that can be useful for anything except desktop / multimedia system, so now on default LTS Kernel you can see significant change:

• Stutter (both video audio)
  • Reduced gaming performance + stutter
  • Sometimes even reduced I/O performance

Hereā€™s a typical example on Fedora: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/158fy6x/ive_turned_preemptfull_on_and_it_solved_most_of/

Luckily itā€™s easily fixed by setting preempt=full kernel parameterā€¦until heā€™ll change some other important stuff like that because itā€™s fOr ArCh SeRVErS :postal_horn: :clown_face:

2 Likes

I havenā€™t noticed any degradation you talk about, and a Reddit post is hardly a convincing source. On my main desktop, audio and video playback are buttery smooth, and on my laptop, they have always been crap. :rofl:

But I can boot up the mainline or zen kernel to do some testing, itā€™s not a problem. Do you have any idea for an objective benchmark?

1 Like

Not really, some games benchmark maybe would make sense?

Iā€™ve noticed it in how KDE animations / window management behaved, as well as some audio stuff - itā€™s pretty obvious.

OK, I take your word for it. But since itā€™s purely anecdotal and I donā€™t seem to be impacted by it, Iā€™ll continue with what I have. :man_shrugging:

Or you can take my word for it + just set a freaking Kernel parameter because it mirrors what normal desktop kernel should do anyway. :rofl:

P.S. And obviously donā€™t forget to update grub :clown_face:

1 Like

Sure, but why solve a problem which does not exist (at least in my, very limited, experience)? :rofl:

1 Like

Because when your (very limited) experience will lead you into those annoying problems - youā€™ll likely forget what could hit you and will spend a lot of time exploring some other possibilities that will lead you nowhereā€¦ :clown_face:

8gy47l

Iā€™ll keep it in mind, if I ever experience any stutter in audio or video. Iā€™ll even add a comment to my /etc/default/grub to remind myself to set it.

1 Like