Certain programs are slow to start after a big update (Budgie)

After updating my system about two weeks ago, I noticed certain GTK programs such as Nautilus, file-roller, and the calculator along with others like Firefox and Thunderbird have been slow to start (for example, the calculator takes upwards of 25 seconds to start), and I can’t figure out why. I assume it’s an issue with a GTK component, but I don’t know where to begin to diagnose the problem.

Sounds like this might be a xdg-desktop-portal performance issue that many are hitting. See:

3 Likes

That did the trick! Is there a bug tracker issue or forum post that goes over why this issue is happening? I’ve never had an issue like this before.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2176759

Apparently, it can happen on both, Gnome and KDE, commonly when flatpak is installed. :wink:

If one is in need of any xdg-desktop-portal (for varying reasons, see link) a current, recommended workaround is using xdg-desktop-portal-gtk instead of the Gnome or KDE versions!

:v:

1 Like

If I am not mistaken, all the reported cases on the forum have been about non-GNOME DE:s.

That’s what it says in the Gitlab’s link posted as well.

No issues with slow launch of applications on my end with GNOME, flatpak and xdg-desktop-portal-gnome.

Good for you. :heart:

That is not the relevant part of my post but this is:

:wink:

Sorry if I don’t entertain an all-seeing-eye. It did happen to me on KDE and I was only trying to be helpful to the many… :wink:

1 Like

That’s surely very appreciated.
But this issue seems to hit non-GNOME DE:s as in your case in KDE. So your assertion that:

is only partially true. Just wanted to point that out.

Keep up the good work!
Au revoir!

1 Like

I stand corrected, as I’m not using Gnome currently at all!
It happened to me on Budgie, too… :blush:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.