Cassini Nova R1 & a sneak peek into our upcoming major release

I wonder how DistroWatch came to report the story as news. Did someone on the EndeavourOS team feed the story to DistroWatch, and they published it without scrutiny? Or were DistroWatch in on the joke from the start?

https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=showheadline&story=15613

A new theme, new default desktop for the live media (Deepin is replacing Xfce), fingerprint and facial recognition, and a new system installer called ZuckerBee.

In either case, it’s a joke well-done! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Nobody was in on it, I litterally made it up two days ago and while writing it yesterday.
I even dropped this idea out of the blue to the team on thursday.

I can’t believe they picked it up :rofl:

5 Likes

that`s great in many ways … hope to see some articles in the next days…

4 Likes

So, one should be very careful with April-Fool’s jokes, especially in the days of AI aided copy-and-paste?!

Hard to believe this is NOT the REAL April Fool’s joke in and by of itself!

OMG!!

:cry:

As funny as it seems in the first place - just imagine the potential consequences!

Is anyone able to let them know, this was meant to be a joke?

1 Like

At least Distrowatch included a link to this topic, so anyone who clicks it can see that it’s a joke (provided that they scroll down far enough!).

1 Like

to get fooled is the whole point of an April Fool’s joke or not?

2 Likes

I guess we are allowed to make a joke once a year? :wink:

Although we know some people will not read far enough to know it was a joke…

5 Likes

I totally bought it, but Deepin was too much, then I realized Elon and Zuckerberg :rofl:

6 Likes

thats good too it is some sor tof the inner meaning of april fools… may some one will think twice in the future :wink:

1 Like

Basically people should learn this as a child already.
And jokes are repeated every year, so it is not easy to forget. :smile:

1 Like

Perhaps Distrowatch also realized it was a joke, considering the ZuckerBee part is highlighted, and they picked it up for the fun of it… Normally they don’t pick up release news as fast as they did with this article.

3 Likes

And to think I came immediately over from Distrowatch to see if a new ISO was available. I haven’t looked at Deepin in years.

1 Like

DistroWatch have now included the “news” in their April 3 newsletter, so I don’t think they yet realise that it’s a joke.

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20230403#news

5 Likes

I saw it on Distrowatch first, and since they reported it as straight news (not sure if they were fooled or not) I thought I must have really lost touch with the community! But Deepin as the live ISO DE gave it away to me. That’s just a bridge too far to believe and then the April Fool’s joke was apparent…

1 Like

Very interesting was Jesse’s reply to somebody who obviously told what happened. “Enough users are excited about the changes”, LOL what?

EDIT: had to double-check for the correct comment to quote.

1 Like

One could say Distrowatch got fooled :stuck_out_tongue:

Did add a comment too to the thing

3 Likes

I’m actually a little bit surprised that quite a number of you weren’t alarmed at the start. With Elon and the Musk deer and only got it with the Deepin environment. :grinning:

But for those who are interested, here are other clues/explanations:

Elon and the Musk deer - I think that doesn’t need an explanation
ZuckerBee - you got that as well.
Release names Elon (Musk) Mark (Zuckerberg) and Jeff (Bezos).
Welcome to Tervetuloa and the biometric recognition - To be honest, I thought you were going to lash us out for the difficult name and privacy concerns.
DAJOMA - DAlto, JOekamprad and MAnuel
PUSRA - PUdge and SRAdjoker

:grinning: :grinning:

8 Likes

Thanks for the inside look. Personally, I knew something was wrong from the first mention of Elon, but because the date had not changed yet over here I didn’t comprehend that it was an April Fool! It just seemed to get more and more unlikely - until suggesting that @manuel would implement anything with ‘install’ as a parameter for packages - THAT was a NO WAY moment for sure! :grin:

Good job guys

4 Likes

both are really good names :wink:

2 Likes

cant wait for the linux youtubers to bring us the news xddd

2 Likes