CAPTCHA prompts are becoming insufferable

I would imagine if Mozilla died, we would still see a fork or two keeping Firefox and Tor alive.

1 Like

Yes, however keeping alive is one thing, but development of 1st-class browser is extremely hard thing to maintain unfortunately :pensive:

I wonder who the majority of Firefox users are. I never ever see it spoken of in circles which are not deep in tech/privacy. Hard to imagine those users would find any of these videos useful, which seems to be reflected in the low viewer counts. Curious if their intention is to capture new users, or if Mozilla is severely out of touch with the Firefox community.

At this point, it’s people who dislike Chrome, mostly the tech-savvy fringe who, more often than not, see Goolag as a force of evil.

Mozilla is severely out of touch with reality.

The only thing they can ever hope to do is to enjoy the handouts Goolag gives them, which allows them to believe and pretend they are important activists and browser developers… as long as they stay out of the way of the big tech, of course.

I have no confidence in their ability to compete with anyone, let alone Goolag.

1 Like

So in that case Linux is also doomed with only a 2% share looking at it your way Linux will die soon after Xmas, and apple with 10% market share along with firefox will die around Easter time. What a load of piffle you guys are talking i’d say next fall, Lol

Statistics means nothing.
Vision is everything.

Even about Firefox i’m kinda doubtful at their figures, and how exactly it’s aggregated, this days a lot of people obfuscate their user-agent for Chrome Windows 10 :laughing:

Their problem is management and dependency on Goolag’s money.

Eventually, yes.

Linux is long past its highest point (I’m talking about the kernel, not the GNU operating system). Every new kernel version makes it worse and worse (and it wasn’t particularly good to begin with). Year of the Linux desktop is not going to happen. Bryan Lunduke is completely right on that.

Some sort of Free POSIX operating system, hopefully, will still exist after the Linux kernel bites the dust (which will be, I’m guessing, 6 months after Mr. Torvalds retires). I’m quite confident there will be some BSD variant, and, of course, the GNU Hurd (which is practically complete, just needs a little incentive :rofl: ).

So, I’m not too worried about the operating system.

However, browsers are now much more complicated than operating systems, they are completely beyond anything independent developers could do.

1 Like

When i started using linux the Kernel was 25mb its now getting ridiculous in size, I don’t understand why its not forked for users with really old gear, that would slim down the mainline kernel for the rest of us all the old crud needs removing.

It’s a consequence of the original decision to have it as a monolithic kernel. It’s now easy to say that was a bad decision, but Linux was never envisioned to be what it is today, so at the time it was a completely reasonable idea. Monolithic kernels are much simpler and easier to maintain… Until they are not.

Remember that originally, Linux was a hobby project of a 19-year-old student. It has certainly exceeded any expectations anyone had for it.

1 Like

You probably don’t need to fork it. The kernel is highly configurable. You could easily build a smaller kernel that only supported your needs if you wanted to.

Keep in mind that a distro kernel has to support a huge variety of hardware.

1 Like

FILE_1

I always like sites that put CATCHPAs on logins where you have MFA enabled.

Enter Username
Enter Password
PROVIDE FREE COMPUTER VISION TRAINING
Enter MFA token
OK, I guess you’re a human…

I mean… if I didn’t have a username, password, and token, I couldn’t log in, so why on Earth is a CATCHPA necessary? :angry:

2 Likes

Because … $$$ … Google … AI … Military … Intelligence … Drone Strikes.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=captcha+google+ai+military&ia=web

Authentication and DDOS protection is a bit of a facade, not entirely, but mostly.

1 Like

aur/microsoft-edge-beta-bin

Just in case you dont like Firefox or Chrome
:wink:

1 Like

I didn’t know it depends on the browser but now that I know it makes sense. I abandoned FF a while ago, I use Brave on Desktop and Bromite on Android, and I haven’t seen much captchas lately. Sometimes there’s a “I’m not a robot”-box which I just have to tick.

That is because you are uniquely identified, almost instantly.

:sweat_smile:

What do you get 9 months after Google and Microsoft have a sordid one night stand?

Edge.

That browser is the worst of both worlds, a Googlesoft hybrid devil child.

2 Likes

Edge uses Blink too, does it not?

Yeah this is, most of the time, as bad as it gets when you’re on Chromium based browsers.

I have just implemented a company website using a CMS.

One of the building blocks is the unavoidable contact form.

In the process of bringing the site online (the deadline was October 11. 2021) the contact form was almost immediately targeted by someone trying to abuse it.

I get mails on the account used to pickup the messages and they looked like this

lYKgRWkthZC
aXlcyZEosJvYHK
OCdHsSPgDehw dpoESasmHXkAMYDQ

yMUzAflucrWHOLev

OytLVmdNKgEWefGF
grier7t9dx62@gmail.com
pgNWtIfDjZ

That of course calls for an implementation of a captcha. As I am in charge of the code I avoid Google services and created and implemented a small captcha service - and as this is a Danish website - I have included some chars unique to Scandinavia.

This particular site does not implement any tracking whether this is cookies, scripts or otherwise. The map used to show the company location is openstreetmap.org and not the g-map.

Captchas is not because the site want to track you - but to protect the site from abuse.

The final result looks looks like this and is a necessity

There is a massive difference between solutions like the one you have here, where all you’re asked to do is fill in a few letters, vs the CAPTCHA solution Google provide.

2 Likes