Can't resolve dependency for libelf, prevents system upgrade

I have recently encountered an error where I can’t seem to resolve a dependency for libelf. The exact output from my terminal after running pacman -Syu is:

warning: cannot resolve “libelf=0.187”, a dependency of “lib32-libelf”
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
lib32-libelf

I have already tried updating mirrors by making a new mirrorlist with Reflector as well as ensuring that multilib is enabled. I checked on the Arch forums and someone had a similar problem, but was able to solve it by enabling multilib. As I already have multilib enabled I assume this is another issue. I am able to proceed with a system update but I know leaving an unresolved dependency for too long can cause a few issues. I think this is a dependency for lib32-mesa and opengl drivers.

Thanks for any help in advance :3

Try the solution given in this post.

There is a previous thread on this issue too:

So I would boot into the liveiso I have now and just update my system, reboot back into my native install and I should be able to update?

First update the mirrors and then run these commands to see if the issue is solved:

sudo pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring
sudo pacman -Syu

I’ve tried these and it doesn’t seem to work on my system, I’ll try the liveiso method and if that doesnt work I’ll just reinstall

wait for a little bit to see if others can help with your issue

Do you have the testing repository enabled (look in /etc/pacman.conf)? If so, do you also have the multilib-testing repository enabled? It looks like 0.187 of libelf is in the testing repo and 0.187 of lib32-libelf is in the multilib testing repo.

3 Likes

This seemed to solve the problem, I had multilib and multilib testing enabled but not the standard testing repo enabled. Thanks so much!

Glad this was an easier fix than I anticipated :3

1 Like

Seems like it was an issue relating to repos, glad I got it sorted out

Thanks for linking the in depth response though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mark the post that solved the issue as the solution. It helps other people having the issue.