Can't install GNOME extensions anymore

Yesterday everything worked just fine, and today I turned my PC on, and suddenly some Extensions are missing even though they were marked as “on” in Extensions program.

I tried removing them via but I couldn’t reinstall them then.
The toggle has somehow no function

I tried reinstalling mutter and gnome-control-center packages, but it hasn’t fixed the issue.

I also have a weird issue since today that when I press Super key and start typing something for the Search function, it searches on my other monitor. It just makes no sense to me.

All packages are up to date.

Not sure what might have happened. They work fine on my end.

There was a recent thread where a user reported on issues with installing gnome shell extensions via the web browser: ReferenceError: chrome is not defined

As a “workground” to get your extensions installed while you are troubleshooting this:

Sadly that doesn’t seem to work either.
My GNOME has somehow shit itself I think.

Search function shows up on my other monitor as well instead on my own.
Another extension is installed, set to “on” but disappeared completely:
Enabling/Disabling it changes nothing as well.

Is there a way for me to reset GNOME completely to default settings?

EDIT: reinstalling mutter and gnome-control-center multiple times fixed it somehow.
Search shows up on main monitor, and Vitals extension is working. Enabling/Disabling toggle works as well.

However I can’t install the following extension:
When I toggle it to “on” and refresh the page, it goes back to “off”.

I’am afraid I don’t know what might be causing this.
I install my gnome extensions manually (I know it sounds tedious) since I have had a “hit and miss” experience doing it from the website.

Hopefully, other GNOME users will chime in with some suggestions.

Also there is this “relatively” new app for searching, installing and managing the extensions:

I have never tried this one but I know other forum members have and they may be able to share their experience of it.

1 Like

Just installed it, but can’t install any extension through it either.
Clicking on “Install” does nothing :frowning:

Then something else might be the issue on your end.
I am not sure what and where to start troubleshooting.

By the way, did you try the manual way? Did it fail as well?

Also, there have been a few updates to gnome-shell and gnome-shell-extensions during the past couple of days:

Screenshot from 2022-07-07 10-06-51

As mentioned before, I am not having any issues with the extensions on my end.

If your issue is caused by some of these updates, as a temporary workaround, you could try downgrading them to a previous version and see if the extensions start working again. If you do so, make sure to reboot as well so to be sure that right stuff get loaded.

1 Like

That’s odd. Manually installing didn’t work at first, but that was before I fixed the problem with mutter
I tried it again manually now, and it did install and I can toggle it on/off.

I guess that’ll have to do for now.

Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

That’s great!

Judging by the number of the updates to gnome-shell (etc.) and also the release of GNOME 43 around the corner, there seems to be quite much developing going on at the moment so things are likely to break or not to function as they should sometimes.

Glad that you got at least something workable for the moment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.