Can't get my games to run correctly + Lutris

Wanna say firstly how amazing people are in this forum, with everyone’s help my last issue with my drives now looks easy to fix since I know howto now.

I tried following @keybreak guide Linux gaming [Guide]
but as a new user I found some of it confusing, more so since I want my games on my SSD and not installed on main boot drive and I am never touching steam.

My install is the Nvidia (non-free) version and all I have installed is the latest version of wine and Lutris (bare-bones just to test)
To my understanding (correct me if wrong) but Lutris creates its own wineprefix for every game it installs so i just changed preferences to go to my SSD. Tried installing a few GOG games with Lutris and this is my result.

Crysis - start up movie before menu stuttering at 2-3fps, took 4 mins to see the Nvidia logo
The Witcher Enhanced Edition - Runs perfect but no sound, wineconf showed no audio driver
Amnesia The Dark Decent - Stutters like Crysis
Assassins Creed - would not launch saying audio is being used by something else
Alan Wake - nothing happened

Same games but installed on there own to my SSD no Lutris

Crysis 64x exe doesn’t work but normal .exe launches and game runs fine
The Witcher Enhanced Edition - No problems runs perfectly
Amnesia The Dark Decent - No problems runs perfectly
Assassins Creed - launched and played the opening cinematic but black screen on menu (but you can hear it)
*Alan Wake intro played but crashed with 3D3 error ran out of memory

Well, now you seem to know why i recommended to install games on your own, and not follow just some scripts from Lutris installers (which ain’t bad most of times, but still not perfect) :upside_down_face:

I’d recommend to use Lutris only as a launcher, but install games on your own.

It’s not Wine’s fault, it was always the case.

Make sure it’s patched to latest patch (if it’s GOG it should be already), or use unofficial c1-launcher, which removes all drm garbage and resolves some of compatibility bugs.

1. Launch game from:
    Bin64/Crysis.exe

2. Add commandline arguments:
    -dx10 -devmode

Try with other wine engine, for example Glorious-Eggroll or TKG, there are links in guide

Must enable “PROTON_FORCE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE=1 WINEDLLOVERRIDES=“xaudio2_7=b,n” %command%” in launch options, or game will not load

(c) https://www.protondb.com/app/108710

And yes, i know that guide is too much, that because i was rushed by community at the time, and haven’t finished some important tool to make it easier…Some day when i’ll have more time i’ll make it way more accessible, so sorry that for now it’s a bit too much for newcomers :upside_down_face:

P.S. Oh and absolutely make sure you have dxvk enabled in Lutris or wherever you launch your games, it’s crucial for performance.

1 Like

Oh i almost forgot, those are needed winetricks for Crysis:

d3dx10_43
d3dcompiler_43
vcrun2005
1 Like

@keybreak I was about to reply saying the game crashes shortly after loading the game, adding those files from winetricks fixed it, games plays as it should… but now I have an FPS counter in the top right corner among other things…not sure how they came up :confused:

So how are people meant to know what things to add from winetricks for games ? Lutris forums is basically dead.
Will now try out the other games and give and update ^^ Oh also is it possible to install proton from the AUR without installing Steam ? Really don’t want to install steam if I can get away with it since I don’t have an account after i lost the last one.

https://appdb.winehq.org

and for Proton (Steam’s WINE implementation):

https://protondb.com

Just download the binary and make a wine-prefix with it. Read @keybreak’s guide carefully (skip nothing), it tells you how to do everything (and gives you scripts). Sure, it’s going to take you 20-30 minutes to go through it, but then you’ll be set.

2 Likes
  1. https://lutris.net/
  2. https://protondb.com
  3. WineHQ is really bad advice though (sorry @jonathon :upside_down_face: ) it’s mostly very outdated.
2 Likes

Yes, you have to look carefully through the various reports and even then “trust nothing”… :rofl:

(Having said this, even ProtonDB has a big mix of approaches, most of them some “cargo cult” thing of copy-pasting a combination of things that at some point will work rather than understanding the narrow specifics of what’s actually needed. Yes, I spent days tweaking a prefix for Assetto Corsa… :pensive:)

2 Likes

Again, forgot…
It’s caused by -devmode which is just a side effect (but devmode enables you to some advanced graphics settings and stuff like that - so it’s better to use it!)
You must create a file called System.cfg right inside your Crysis directory with those vars:

con_restricted=0
r_DisplayInfo=0

Crysis have a very advanced system, you can absolutely CRANK your game quality with some of those console settings…but that’s not the question here so :slight_smile:

I think that should be pretty much it…Other than that you should just set your settings in game and enjoy :slight_smile:

Here’s my usual config, you can try it (just change resolution with r_Width / r_Height to your native), but you must have a very powerful system :laughing:

Summary

con_restricted=0
r_DisplayInfo=0
r_Width=3620
r_Height=2263
cl_fov=75
r_DrawNearFoV=75
r_Brightness=0.45
r_Contrast=0.51
sys_spec_Full=4
e_obj_quality=4
d3d10_NumStagingBuffers=512
d3d9_rb_verts=49152
d3d9_rb_Tris=131072

r_Driver="DX10"
r_Fullscreen=1
r_VSync=0
d3d9_TripleBuffering=1
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=0
r_ShadersAsyncMaxThreads=4

r_FSAA=0
r_FSAA_samples=0
r_FSAA_quality=0
r_UseEdgeAA=0

e_precache_level=1
r_TexResolution=0
e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy=8192
e_detail_materials_view_dist_z=4096
e_cbuffer_resolution=1024
r_TexAtlasSize=2048
r_DynTexAtlasCloudsMaxSize=32
r_UsePom=1

e_lods=1
e_lod_ratio=10
ca_lod_ratio=10
e_lod_max=0
r_TextureLodDistanceRatio=0
r_TextureLodMaxLod=0
e_terrain_lod_ratio=1
e_terrain_texture_lod_ratio=0.7
e_terrain_occlusion_culling_max_dist=1000

r_DetailDistance=20
e_view_dist_ratio=500
e_view_dist_min=480
e_view_dist_custom_ratio=500
e_view_dist_ratio_detail=60
r_RainMaxViewDist=200

e_vegetation=1
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=200
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio=0.8
e_vegetation_sprites_min_distance=100
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_custom_ratio_min=1

r_Beams=1
r_BeamsMaxSlices=300
e_max_entity_lights=16
e_particles_max_emitter_draw_screen=128

e_shadows=1
e_shadows_cast_view_dist_ratio=1.14
e_gsm_lods_num=5
e_gsm_range=3
e_gsm_range_step=4
e_gsm_range_step_terrain=16
e_gsm_scatter_lod_dist=70
e_sun_clipplane_range=450
e_shadows_max_texture_size=4096
r_DynTexMaxSize=1024
e_shadows_slope_bias=4
r_ShadowJittering=0.8
r_TerrainAO=7
r_TerrainAO_FadeDist=1

r_HDRlevel=0.8
r_HDRBrightOffset=8
r_SSAO=1
r_SSAO_amount=0.5
r_SSAO_darkening=0.9
r_SSAO_quality=3

e_recursion_view_dist_ratio=0.15
e_water_ocean_fft=1
q_ShaderWater=3
r_WaterReflectionsMinVisiblePixelsUpdate=0.05
r_WaterUpdateDistance=0.2
r_WaterUpdateFactor=0.1

es_MaxPhysDist=300
es_MaxPhysDistInvisible=35
e_cull_veg_activation=70
e_foliage_wind_activation_dist=35
r_EnvTexUpdateInterval=0.01
r_EnvCMupdateInterval=0.01
sys_physics_cpu=0

r_DepthOfField=1
r_MotionBlur=0
i_iceeffects=1

e_decals_life_time_scale=604800
e_decals_neighbor_max_life_time=604800
g_ragdollMinTime=604800
g_ragdollDistance=100000
g_battleRange=100
ai_UseAlternativeReadability=0
g_blood=1
g_skipIntro=1
g_suitCloakEnergyDrainAdjuster=0.3

ds_PrecacheSounds=1
s_FormatType=3

r_TexturesStreaming=0

Getting windoze games to run on Linux is a hassle, but once that hurdle is overcome, at least the performance is crap :rofl:

Just kidding, just kidding… Most games work great on Linux nowadays! It’s just a bit fiddly to set everything up.

That said, even if I had to completely give up on all games on Linux, I still wouldn’t use windoze…

1 Like

@jonathon
@Kresimir

Indeed, there is always THAT game… :rofl:

But really once you get the algorithm of how to use wine, it mostly comes down to find / figure out right winetricks or game config :slight_smile:

Crysis is a great example, that’s why i’ve used it in guide - because it’s a great game which need to have just few tweaks (most of which are game itself though, even on Windoz, for example that x64 exe problem)

@Auron111 is getting there! :space_invader:

1 Like

Also, just throwing this into the mix, because it seems pretty awesome, is Bottles. It is in AUR. Lets you set up Wine/Proton environments with ease.

@keybreak Have you ever used this?

1 Like

Yeah…It’s BLOATles :rofl:

2 Likes

There are some questionable decisions that Bloattles devs took, especially regarding their repository. It seems their software can only be used with the wine engines that they approve and keep in their repository. I can’t just download a TKG binary of proton and make a “bottle” with it (which is a pity, because Tk-Glitch has an excellent sense of aesthetics: https://github.com/Tk-Glitchreally stylish!)

3 Likes

The jury is out on this one. Much like Wine and other Crossover things. Pure Linux or not? We make our own decisions.

This launcher looks very promising, but it’s still in the early development:

BTW, it’s written in Rust. They changed their minds on that, it’s now just Python garbage… Oh well. It did look promising.

Maybe one day, we will use the Chad Launcher to launch Half-Life 3 on the GNU Hurd, with Wayland and Pipewire…

1 Like

Oh, good to know, thanks. I will be putting a cork in that one. :champagne:

:grimacing: Yep, I went there… :rofl:

2 Likes

We use Arch btw! :laughing:

1 Like

top kek

2 Likes

Your config seams to work well ^^ my 2080TI didn’t seam to have much of an issue ^^

Also reading your guide I have created your .sh scrips (going to give it a go your best I can)
I think I understand how to do this so far :laughing:
But can I ignore the parts about steam since I don’t use it ? or can’t I use proton without it :S

…Can’t imagine the problems mmo games are going to cause me and GOG galaxy as you need it to play No mans sky online :face_with_monocle:

1 Like