Can't figure out how to install nvidia drivers

Look over this here

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/nvidia/optimus-manager-for-nvidia/2021/03/

same optimus-manager prevents from booting apparently itā€™s a common issue

I donā€™t really know but the RTX 3050 is a new chip?

Edit: Check this out here as it might be helpful.

yep i was looking into that but a weird thing iā€™ve just noticed is that inxi no longer shows the nvidia card

i think itā€™s another problem since just by running optimus-manager i get

ERROR: a GPU setup was initiated but Xorg post-start hook did not run.
Log at /var/log/optimus-manager/switch/switch-20220808T230430.log
If your login manager is GDM, make sure to follow those instructions:
https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager#important--gnome-and-gdm-users
If your display manager is neither GDM, SDDM nor LightDM, or if you don't use one, read the wiki:
https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager/wiki/FAQ,-common-issues,-troubleshooting
Cannot execute command because of previous errors.

I think you are going to have to go through some hurdles to figure it out by reading through this.

yep read this one didnā€™t find something interesting so iā€™m searching else where, the night is gonna be long

1 Like

journalctl -u optimus-manager.service -b0

Edit: Maybe try this

prime-offload && optimus-manager --switch hybrid

So could try

prime-offload && optimus-manager --switch nvidia

Edit: Not sure if this is any help?

@nirvanaK

Maybe check this file?

Screenshot_20220808_184810

ls
20-optimus-manager.conf  kde_settings.conf

doesnt seem so for my system

Well i wish you luck. I just donā€™t know how i can help.

thank you you helped me a lot !!

Just out of curiosity if your driver works, have you tried to plugin an external monitor and is it recognized via Nvidia settings app to use the Nvidia and not intel? this post explains in a nutshellā€¦

Problem is i canā€™t use optimus even downloading the package without running any command prevents me from booting

Also i might have broken something with all my testing because the nvidia card is no longer recognized

Just saying, you donā€™t need to. You can either run the Nvidia GPU by connecting external screen or switching all together to Nvidia on the laptop in your bios and blacklist intel.

All that Nvidia Optimus hybrid stuff has been a hit and miss on my Lenovo. It seems at some point you had the right driver installed but didnā€™t get a chance to test it, because you installed Optimus on top of it.

ooh i get it so if i disable the intel one it will default to the nvidia thank you iā€™ll try that once i figure out why my card is no longer showing, but it doesnā€™t seem like a long run solution i mean iā€™d have to change bios settings everytime i want to switch gpus

But then make sure to blacklist nouveau in grub so you donā€™t get a black screen at boot.

I agree, itā€™s not satisfactory. I use an external monitor which switches it to Nvidia (,while using Intel on laptop) but if you want to use it on your laptop itā€™s not ideal. Thatā€™s why I will never purchase Nvidia or hybrid laptop again if I can avoid it.

To switch to Nvidia in bios and blacklist nouveau I suggest to follow Lenovoā€™s installation instructions of Linux on hybrid laptop (ignore how they install Nvidia driver, not relevant on Arch). That worked for me but faster battery drain. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Edit:

• make sure to backup your data, or first fresh install and experiment

• you could try to blacklist nouveau first, and see if the nvidia on Optimus works and there might be sort of a conflict between cards. Note that I generally use the package optimus-manager

• you can try to blacklist nouveau temporarily after switching to Nvidia in bios, press e on boot in grub and follow
    Blank Screen right after new update - #68 by joekamprad

• here the code I found to blacklist nouveau in the grub config to make it more permanent. Perhaps @ricklinux can confirm this is right, havenā€™t done this for a while

#edit the config file
nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf 
#add following
blacklist nouveau 
options nouveau modeset=0
#Update the initramfs image then reboot the system 
sudo update-initramfs -u 
sudo reboot  

My two cents just in case you want to try. Note blacklisting can be reverted, you can always go back to TTY, fix things and boot back to gui. Never panic (I did that in the past), everything is fixable.

i can assure you that i wil never ever buy an nvidia laptop again, btw sorry i know itā€™s not really relevant to the conversation but i saw that after struggling the whole day i found out about system76-power and itā€™s the only one that works for me as you can see

glxinfo|egrep "OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer*" 
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2

thing is i have a black screen but i can use all the apps i mean i can alt+f2 and browse all the apps i can use firefox the console everything, if i run the desktop show up with the wallpaper and all

systemctl --user restart plasma.plasmashell.service

thing is everytime i reboot i get a blackscreen, have you ever encountered that maybe @ricklinux sorry for bothering you but i feel so close after 24h of pure pain :smile: