Can these apps be uninstalled in KDE?
delete?

No, those are system dependencies.
However, if you donā€™t need them - you can hide them from menu

1 Like

OK, thanks.

1 Like

system dependencies

You mean it gets installed as part of this?

Not really, but perhaps indirectly. The qt-related ones used to come in with qt itself. However, I donā€™t see them on a recent install so either they no longer come in or their desktops were hidden by default.

The plasma ones can be removed by removing the package plasma-sdk

That being said, this is a very old post so the information may not be valid anymore.

Well I have all the Qt and Plasma stuff just as in first post picture. I didnā€™t install it manually. Installed EOS ~week ago.

So my question is - which package in installation process (screenshot) did install these?

I will probably go reinstall EOS and just select next time plasma and spectacle.

Run

pacman -Qi packange_name

To see which packages depend on it.

Not sure I understand, what you mean?

I donā€™t know which packages added those entries (apps) in Application Launcher > Development section.

Qt Assistant is part of the qt5-tools package.

Run

pacman -Qi qt5-tools
pacman -Qi qt5-tools
[juris@juris-aspiree1571 ~]$ pacman -Qi qt5-tools
Name            : qt5-tools
Version         : 5.15.2+kde+r17-3
Description     : A cross-platform application and UI framework (Development Tools, QtHelp)
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://www.qt.io
Licenses        : GPL3  LGPL3  FDL  custom
Groups          : qt  qt5
Provides        : None
Depends On      : qt5-base  hicolor-icon-theme
Optional Deps   : clang: for qdoc
                  qt5-webkit: for Qt Assistant
Required By     : spectacle
Optional For    : kdeconnect  phonon-qt5  python-pyqt5
Conflicts With  : qtchooser
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 17,05 MiB
Packager        : Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : piektdiena, 2021. gada 9. jūlijs, 09:32:48
Install Date    : otrdiena, 2021. gada 20. jūlijs, 21:41:53
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

What is Optional Deps and Optional For ?

So according to above info Spectacle needs qt5-tools to work properly?

The bigger question though is how did you know to look for qt5-tools?

Yes. If you remove qt5-tools you will also remove spectacle. In other words, if you donā€™t use spectacle you can remove qt5-tools.

If you right :mouse: click on the Qt Assistant in the Applicaton Launcher and select Properties, under Application there is the ā€œcommandā€ field which tells you which command that is.

In this particular case, the command is assistant. Using the which command you can find the executable file for it, in my case:

~šŸø which assistant 
/usr/bin/assistant

To find out the name of the package which contains a specific file:

~šŸø pacman -F /usr/bin/assistant
usr/bin/assistant is owned by extra/qt5-tools 5.15.2+kde+r17-2

And there you have it, itā€™s qt5-tools and you can get info about it with pacman -Qi qt5-tools.

1 Like

Optional dependencies are packages which can be installed to add extra features to a package, but are not required by it. Itā€™s exactly what the name suggests, a dependency but an optional one. ā€œOptional Depsā€ lists the packages that can add features to this package. ā€œOptional Forā€ lists the packages that use this package as an optional dependency.

1 Like

What is this error?

You donā€™t have a file database for pacman. To download it:

sudo pacman -Fy

and then update

sudo pacman -Syu

Needed just 1st command to get rid of error.

Itā€™s just a precaution. Update your system just in case, before you install anything. Iā€™m not sure itā€™s absolutely necessary, but I think -Fy refreshed the local package database (pacman manual is unclear about that), so it might be a good idea to update (just do avoid any chance of a partial update scenario).

To find out what is in the group plasma, you can use:

pacman -Sg plasma

pacman -Si doesnā€™t work because it is a group, not a package.

I was asleep and wasnā€™t around to answer your questions but I would make a few points.

• To find out what package owns a file you donā€™t need to use pacman -F and populate that database. You can use pacman -Qo <filename>. You only need pacman -F to search for filenames of packages you donā€™t have installed.
  • Reinstalling to remove packages is pointless. You never need to do that. There is literally no situation in which that will help you unless you just want to start over.
  • pacman -Fy doesnā€™t require an update @Kresimir, that is a separate database it updates.
  • If you want to understand dependencies you can use the command pactree with is or without the -r flag depending on what you are looking for.
1 Like