Can not boot to desktop

The issue is that the boot stuff appears in the hdmi screen.

Okay so the display is only working on the hdmi that is hooked to the nvidia card. I would still try shutting down and disconnect the hdmi and see if you get display on the vga after booting back up.

The thing is that for boot and choosing drive( the motherboard screen) only comes up on the hdmi.

What do you mean choosing boot? Is it dual boot?

Yes so I have to choose the drive.

Well i guess then we could try installing nvidia drivers and see what happens first?

Edit:

sudo nvidia-installer-dkms

Sure ,how do I go about that?

If the nvidia-installer-dkms is not installed then you would have to install that first.

sudo pacman -S nvidia-installer-dkms

Then you have to run the installer with sudo

Once you get it installed and then reboot and see what you got.

Edit: If necessary shutdown and disconnect the vga and see.

Getting anywhere?

The hdmi screen works but the other doesn’t.

Okay so before both worked?

Yes , I am going to reboot with the vga unplugged.

Is it set in the bios to use the IGPU?

It is all set to auto but not on iGPU. Should I change it?

1 Like

Can you post

inxi -Ga
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915 v: kernel
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0412 class-ID: 0380
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nvidia v: 495.44
           alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1c03 class-ID: 0300
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.21.1.1 compositor: xfwm4 v: 4.16.1 driver: loaded: nvidia
           resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
           OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 495.44 direct render: Yes

Okay so now the nvidia drivers is installed and working. So now lets go back to nouveau driver.

sudo nvidia-installer-dkms -n

Then reboot when it’s totally finished.

Just a point here - you can get an adapter for the vga to run it from the a port on the main card. Here are some quick example prices from amazon.ca:

1. VGA → Displayport - $12.99
  2. VGA ->HDMI - $ 9.99
  3. VGA → DVI - $8.99

That might simplify things as you can run it all on the nvidia…

It again like the beginning. I guess I will have to live with the nvidia drivers.