Btrfs Assistant 1.0 is coming, testers needed

@dalto Hi Dalto, trying to setup on a new machine with Arch running and I am getting this error I try to save a config.

Can I see sudo btrfs sub list /

I had timeshift running and want to switch to snapper.

What is @.snapshots?

that was created when I installed Arch but don’t think anything is there.

Unmount it, delete it, remove it from fstab and then rmdir /.snapshots

this is my disk layout.

whats the command to unmount .snapshots?

sorry one more question - why is it necessary to remove this subvol and its directory?

sudo umount /.snapshots

Snapper wants to create /.snapshots. It will fail if something is already there.

You don’t have to remove it. You can work around it. But…why would you want to? Why have something that just makes everything more complicated? Just let snapper do it’s thing.

1 Like

I removed and restarted the PC and I was able to create a config file.

Here is the setup. Does this look okay to you?

I am just taking a snapshot of the / subvol.

You have timeline snapshots disabled. Are you using something else to take snapshots?

no just snapper as of now. I removed Timeshift and auto-snap.

With Timeline disabled, I would still have pre and post auto snapshots whenever a package is installed.

Correct?

Is Timeline just taking snapshots in the background just if the system crashes? Any other benefits?

Not unless you install snap-pac. Currently you aren’t getting any snapshots at all.

It just takes hourly snapshots and then prunes them according to your settings. The advantage is that you have snapshots that point to data at a prior point. Whether that data is useful or not depends on you. The most common way I use snapshots is when I make a change to config file and it doesn’t work out as expected. I can just grab a copy from the last hourly snapshot instead of worrying about how to put it back the way it was.

It certainly isn’t a must. It is all situational.

2 Likes

understood. Thank you for the clarifications.

I have snap-pac installed when I installed snapper-support but it doesn’t seem to take those pre/post snapshots. Do I need to enable or something?

1 Like

I don’t think so. They should be alpm hooks.

Do you see them trying to run when you do a pacman operation?

I see operation to take snapshots when I install packages but they don’t show up in the BTRFS-Assistant app

Where are you looking?

Can I see a screenshot?

So I removed the config that I created called “Root” and created a new one as “root” and it now works!

It looks like the config name can’t be other than “root” ? I found this here snap-pac
strange.

1 Like

It looks like the default config uses root but you can change it is you want.

got it.

Do you know or tried using sudo snapper rollback command to restore ? As per the Arch wiki, I think you need the package https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/snapper-rollback installed.

Just seeing different ways to restore :slight_smile:

I don’t use snappers rollback system at all. It requires too many things to be a certain way.

You also need to use the exact layout that the wiki represents.

One of the primary goals of Btrfs Assistant is that it shouldn’t require any specific layout. It should work with whatever layout you want to use. All of the other tools I looked at required their own specific layout and it wasn’t even the same layout.

That is why Btrfs Assistant has it’s own restore logic that can be used from the GUI or the CLI.

2 Likes