Brother MFC-L2700DW Print driver

This driver apparently is no longer maintained in the AUR. It is available but does not work. There is a way to package the driver from Brother (.deb or .rpm) but Arch Wiki is complicated in the procedure. Can anyone walk me through packaging and install this driver so I can use my printer. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to EOS

You need to install dpkg from aur.

Then you can run the script to install the driver, look here https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=th&lang=en&prod=mfcl2700dw_us_eu_as&os=128&dlid=dlf006893_000&flang=4&type3=625

for my brother printer I got it to work by putting the following into cups:
ipp://[printer IP]/ipp/print

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for giving EndeavourOS a try.

How did you try to install the print driver? Here is how it should be done. If you don’t have yay installed, install yay
$ sudo pacman -S yay
Then as user, install the printer driver from the AUR
$ sudo pacman -S lib32-glic to install a dependency
$ yay -S brother-mfc-l2700dw

Printer driver should be installed.
You may need to do the following: if these are already done, reissuing the commands is safe
$ sudo pacman -S cups cups-pdf
$ sudo systemctl enable org.cups.cupsd.service
$ sudo systemctl start org.cups.cupsd.service

In FIrefox or other browser, enter the URL of localhost:631
This should bring up the cups page
Install your printer. I don’t know your Linux skill level, if you have never done this before, come back for help. The yay installed driver should appear as
Brother MFC-L2700DW for CUPS (en)

If this printer is on a LAN network, do the following to enable the scanner
$ pacman -Q sane ( to see if sane is installed. If not install it)
$ yay brscan4
$ sudo brsaneconfig4 -a name=“Brother” model=“MFC-L2700DW” ip=“your printer’s IP”

Done

2 Likes

I have installed the driver via the AUR and have it installed in CUPS. This driver is no longer being maintained and does NOT work. Mt question is how to package the LPR printer and CUPS wrapper in either .deb or .rpm (Only choices on Brother site) to get my MFC-L2700DW working. Arch says this is the only way but per usual the WIKI is frustratingly complicated.

This is for the INSTALL DRIVER TOOL on Brother Site. Arch Wiki says I need to package the LPR Printer Driver and CUPS Wrapper then incorporate to replace them in the now defunct driver package on the AUR. I don’t know how to do this as both are in the .deb or .rpm formats.

I hope you made sure of the yay dependency install that was mentioned above. All of the Brother driver support I am familiar with is 32 bit -and you need that lib entry!

Just saying… (not that I ran into that problem on Arch or anything :grin:)

As you say, lots of packages depend on this lib so I don’t see it going away any time soon. That being said, whether it stays or goes is entirely up to the Arch Linux devs and/or developers of that library upstream from Arch Linux.

Pudge

Thanks for this guide. Worked great. Now I can print and scan with the MFC-L2700DW :slight_smile:

1 Like