Brandnew installation - now want to add Vivaldi to it

Hello dear all

i am pretty new to the community. . Hello to all :wink:

i have a brandnew installation - now want to add Vivaldi-brwoser to it. normally we can do this via downloading the browser. - But this did not work correctly

Is there another method - eg. the installation with command-line!?

look forward to hear from you
regards

BTW - i want to setup a LAMP .- but thats another thing. I guess that i do later on…

in the past time i worked with the following instruction:

Linux – Apache – MySQL – PHP – LAMP Stack Installation auf Debian

Installieren des Linux-, Apache-, MySQL-, PHP- (LAMP-)Stacks unter Ubuntu 20.04

You can install it with:

sudo pacman -Syu vivaldi

Also, welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Welcome! :enos_flag:

sudo pacman -Syu vivaldi

If you know how to configure them, installing packages should be easy. sudo pacman -S apache php php-apache mysql

For steps including config, you probably need a guide like this → https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-linux-apache-mysql-php-lamp-stack-on-arch-linux

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @otrott :tada::partying_face::balloon:

2 Likes

hello dear Flyingcakes and Dalto - good day kjw

many thanks for the warm welcome - this is just awesome.

wow - your very fast - i am impressed - i will do so and install vivaldi via command-line and yes: i will also look for the LAMP-setup

And i will have a closer look a the digitalocean-man-pages. Many thanks :wink:

2 Likes

Many new and new to Arch users find this helpful:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta

What do you mean by “download the browser?” Like from their website? Via flatpak? I believe you said you were coming from Manjaro, so that doesn’t sound correct. How were you installing things on your last distro?

1 Like

hi - i used to run MX-Linux - and last time i installed Vivaldi i was able to do this via download

1 Like

I’d also recommend you look at the Arch wiki, there is a lot of very useful and in-depth information on there.

4 Likes

Yes. That I believe. Many companies have .deb packages available. These won’t work on Arch. Exceedingly rarely will you find a “download” for Arch. You may find an install script, but packages, not so much. It’ll almost always be in the repos or in the AUR.

Flatpaks, appimages and snaps (although no one ever really recommends snaps) can all also easily be installed.

1 Like

hi dear friends,
just got back this here - srry for the German language - i could / should try to switch the terminal-language anyway…

First try this:

sudo pacman -Syu vivaldi pipewire-jack

If that doesn’t work, you will need to do this:

sudo pacman -Rdd jack2
sudo pacman -Syu vivaldi

I guess you did an offline install? This first update is probably going to be substantial since the ISO is a couple of months old right now.

3 Likes

They said they installed kde so it should be up to date. It’s odd seeing this warning though. That was a while ago I thought.

hello dear dalto, hello dear fbodymechanic

many thanks for the quick reply - well i did a online installation - but probably i did something wrong!?
i will run the above mentioned commands

and yes - i love to do updates first - if there are some preliminary steps to do - i love to do them first…

If you did an online install your system should be updated already so it must be something with vivaldi specifically? Let me if one of my commands above doesn’t resolve the issue.

This one is on me - I thought they did plasma, but I think it was the other newer use with a similar name. This makes sense if it’s offline/xfce.

1 Like

hello dear dalto

well i installed one hour ago - with a ethernet cable connected - and yes. i did a online installation…
here i applied the first command … see

In that case try the second command, that will almost definitely work.

hello dear Dalto
many thanks for the quick reply - awesome - this thread - and the overwhelming support here. see below the output

Now do sudo pacman -Syu vivaldi

1 Like
Aside about blank conflicts message

multilib is enabled, so it’s likely that the blank conflict message is because lib32-jack2 needs to be replaced with lib32-pipewire-jack.

1 Like