Booting goes to black screen after pacman updates

Hi,

I am noticing that with some certain pacman updates, once I reboot I only can see a black screen and that’s it. The only solution to fixing this is running a “disk repair” using a Live USB of Ubuntu or Fedora. When it’s in this black screen state, I cannot get into the EOS Live ISO at all, it goes to a black screen same as the installed OS on the SSD. The black screen is frozen because it won’t allow me to reboot with CTRL+ALT+DEL.

At first, I thought my SSD was the issue, so I swapped it with another one from a different system just to see if this would fix it, but it’s still happening about once a week when I do a pacman update.

I don’t understand how this is possible? I mean, what component could possibly prevent a USB from live booting and also booting the actual OS into a black screen while only being fixable by using the “repair disk” option in disk utility application from certain distros like the ones I mentioned above? If it was just the OS that wouldn’t boot, then it would seem a little easier to narrow down, but when a LIVE ISO isn’t booting, that’s concerning.

I should also mention that once the disk repair fixes the OS and allows me to boot in, only then I am able to boot from the Live ISO of EndeavourOS. This is bizarre.

Is this likely a motherboard issue? A BIOS firmware issue? A GPU issue?

You give no information about the system itself.
Hardware
Legacy boot or efi?
DE/WM

Have you checked the logs? if so which ones?

maybe the issue is related to this article https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/heads-up-on-latest-kernel-update-6-2-5-arch1-1/38399