BOOT ERROR after linux-lts kernel update: 5.15.55-2 => 5.15.58-2

Hello everybody, Piero here.

BOOT ERROR after linux-lts kernel update: 5.15.55-2 => 5.15.58-2
Description: stuck after listing some USB devices
Try with linux kernel: failed
Try with linux-zen kernel: failed

(Temporary) Solution:
BTRFS back to previous ‘5.15.55-2’ kernel snapshot, + in /etc/pacman.conf
'IgnorePkg = linux linux-headers ***linux-api-headers linux-firmware*** linux-lts linux-lts-headers'

Logs available:
Hardware information: inxi -Fxxc0z --no-host
Boot log: journalctl -b -0

Short System Information:

  • Manufacturer: HP
  • Product Name: 550-340nl
  • OS: EndeavourOS Linux x86_64
  • CPU: AMD A10-8750 Radeon R7 4C+8G (4) @ 3.600GHz
  • GPU: AMD ATI Radeon R7 360 / R9 360 OEM
  • Memory: 2527MiB / 15946MiB

Request: Help needed, please :frowning:

a) Is this the correct forum?
b) Can I post my Boot log aand hardware info via cat | eos-sendlog ?
c) Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance, Piero

Maybe you should read this topic: All kernels failing to boot

Y-y-yes, thank you, Lemon, but I don’t think that topic really helps me now and in this particular case:

  • No Ryzen here, nor am I using a VM;
  • I’m not so sure that installing Jonathon’s repo is the real permanent fix;
  • Likely, I’m very very skeptical about adding ‘mitigations=off’ in my /etc/default/grub

So… thanks anyway.

I can’t guarantee this will fix anything, but have you read this post on the Arch subreddit from yesterday with something similar?



You mean that "spectre_v2=off" in grub, is ‘the solution’, TODAY??
Aka ‘Out of the frying pan into the fire’ - why not… :frowning:

See the last two comments here:

linux 5.18.16.arch1-1 is currently in testing.

1 Like

Well, you’re welcome to test any solution in the wild if you want to remain updated and current, just know there are warnings mentioned when doing these “fixes”. I think for the time being I would just stay back on your previous snapshot until actual patches make it into updated Arch kernels, which realistically should be a couple days at most since it’s a known issue.

Consider waiting until the weekend to update again would be my approach to see if any new kernels landed by then. Also never hurts to check out the main Arch Linux page to keep track packages like the Lts kernel here:

It was flagged out of date today and the kernels are always updated within 2-5 days depending on maintainer availability, patches, testing, etc., but it won’t be a long wait.

1 Like

And this does actually add a bit of (useful) information, thanks: studying and thinking upon.

1 Like

Scotty_Trees: Thanks.
Yes, I agree upon your considerations, and I think I’ll stick to my current snapshot waiting for better times.

Thank you all, Gents: hope you won’t mind my setting this thread solved.
Peace, Piero


No Ryzen here either and no VM.
This was my solution: All kernels failing to boot - #29 by Lemon

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.