Bluetooth not starting

Specs

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.16.15-arch1-1
DE: KDE 5.92.0 / Plasma 5.24.3

Issue

Installation

I’ve followed the guide at https://discovery.endeavouros.com/bluetooth/bluetooth/2021/03/

I currently have the latest version of EndeavourOS, fresh install yesterday night (18/03/2022). Which means I ran the following to install and install bluetooth:
sudo pacman -S --needed bluez bluez-utils
and for my KDE version I’ve installed bluedevil with:
sudo pacman -S bluedevil

Startup

To boot bluetooth and activate it, I ran:
sudo systemctl enable --now bluetooth

In the attempt of restarting bluetooth with:
sudo systemctl restart bluetooth

In both cases I got the following output:

Job for bluetooth.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status bluetooth.service" and "journalctl -xeu bluetooth.service" for details.

By following the prompt I see that I can run
systemctl status bluetooth.service
which prints the following

× bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2022-03-18 12:40:10 CET; 6s ago
       Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
    Process: 10929 ExecStart=/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)
   Main PID: 10929 (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)
        CPU: 7ms

Mar 18 12:40:10 monkey systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...
Mar 18 12:40:10 monkey systemd[10929]: bluetooth.service: Failed to set up mount namespacing: /run/systemd/unit-root/var/lib/bluetooth: No such file or directory
Mar 18 12:40:10 monkey systemd[10929]: bluetooth.service: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd: No such file or directory
Mar 18 12:40:10 monkey systemd[1]: bluetooth.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE
Mar 18 12:40:10 monkey systemd[1]: bluetooth.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 18 12:40:10 monkey systemd[1]: Failed to start Bluetooth service.

Hopefully this format is good enough and I’d like to thank everyone that can point me in the right direction and help me fix this issue.

I’m facing the exact same issue. Fresh installed it today, 18:03:2022.
Screenshot_20220318_201651

It was working on my last install, distro hopped day before and came back to this today and it’s not working.

Welcome to the forum :enos: :enos_flag:

Are you also running KDE?

Thankyou!
Yes, KDE

Try to reinstall bluez sudo pacman -S bluez and try to start service again

Fixed a similar issue for a Fedora User.

this is the output still after reinstalling bluez and trying restart the service.

Job for bluetooth.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status bluetooth.service” and “journalctl -xeu bluetooth.service” for details.

and then systemctl status bluetooth.service gives

systemctl status bluetooth.service
× bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2022-03-18 20:57:42 IST; 2min 8s ago
Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
Process: 2788 ExecStart=/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)
Main PID: 2788 (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)
CPU: 3ms
Mar 18 20:57:42 root1234 systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service…
Mar 18 20:57:42 root1234 systemd[2788]: bluetooth.service: Failed to set up mount namespacing: /run/systemd/unit-root/var/lib/bluetooth: No such file or directory
Mar 18 20:57:42 root1234 systemd[2788]: bluetooth.service: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd: No such file or directory
Mar 18 20:57:42 root1234 systemd[1]: bluetooth.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE
Mar 18 20:57:42 root1234 systemd[1]: bluetooth.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Mar 18 20:57:42 root1234 systemd[1]: Failed to start Bluetooth service.

This was working yesterday. I did a clean install today . . . twice . . . and have the very same issue. When it doesn’t work on a clean install, (and the issue appears to have happened overnight for others as well), I have to believe that it may be a package issue.

Just hope it gets fixed soon then!

Okay, you might be right. But thats well above my paygrade :wink:

Where are my manners? :roll_eyes: Welcome to the forum! :enos_flag: :enos:

Thanks, @TomDoe. If you find a solution to this, please do post it and let us all know. I’m definitely watching this thread.

Bluetooth just got updated. Could easily be a new bug or packaging issue.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. Thanks, @eznix

$ pacman -Qs bluez
local/bluez 5.64-1
     Daemons for the bluetooth protocol stack
 local/bluez-libs 5.64-1
    Deprecated libraries for the bluetooth protocol stack
 local/bluez-tools 0.2.0-5
     A set of tools to manage Bluetooth devices for Linux
local/bluez-utils 5.64-1
    Development and debugging utilities for the bluetooth protocol stack

My BT still works as desired. Checked my BT Headphones a minute ago.
I’m running XFCE.
@Chesonis You also KDE?
Or does it only occur with new installatons?

I have the same issue with my fresh KDE install
Is there any workaround till the package is fixed (assuming its the package at fault)?

That is great. But, a bug could have been introduced that affects other hardware, other manufacturers, other DE’s.

You can contact the bluetooth developers and report your problem. That would be a start to getting it fixed.
http://www.bluez.org/contact/

Just trying to narrow it down a little.

Hello. I installed EOS about a week ago. I now realized the BT option isn’t showing in my KDE Plasma.
I went about finding out why and I run into all problems mentioned here.
Writing here just to +1 the issue. I hope it will be resolved soon.

Same thing here. Installed endevour os a couple of months ago. But needed bluetooth today, faced the same issues mentioned here.

I just went through this with someone else on an older install of Antergos that i had converted to Arch. The bluetooth service would fail to start. I found that the generic btusb module was blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/xxxxxx .conf file which was similar to what i post here. Can’t remember it’s name but it was for the usb bluetooth adapter. I went through a long process to narrow it down to the module not loading so the service would try to start on boot and fail.

/etc/modprobe.d/rtl87XXusb.conf

I just commented out the blacklist of btusb and it was good to go and now starts every time on boot.

1 Like