Blank Screen right after new update

The only problem is you are going to have to learn how to chroot into the system in order to do anything.
I’m thinking it’s the same issue with early KMS and Lightdm why you are getting the black screen and yes it’s most likely coming from the newer kernel additions. They make changes and sometimes it messes up other things. So you have to make changes or they do to fix stuff. Here is the info on arch-chroot.

I think you need to do a couple of things. You need to set lightdm to check that the module is loaded first by uncommenting & changing login-check-graphical=true as shown here.

I also think you will need to change the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file to add MODULES= intel nouveau
and run sudo mkinitcpio -P after.

I could be way off base here but these are the things i would try. Because previously, and i checked you had the system installed with no issue using intel and nouveau back when you had the audio issue. These enhancements are just part of some of the issue nvidia has been having but some have been also with just intel graphics.

I wish i could help you more but i think you are going to have to learn some of this on your own by reading, trying, failing, trying again. Hopefully you eventually can get it working.

1 Like

Got it. THanks you have already helped alot you spent alot of time when you didn’t have to. I will read over everything and will fix this eventually… First I have to learn how to chroot, etc… Thanks rick and joe for the help BTW.

1 Like

you are welcome! :enos:
If you have questions keep asking, we will not give up helping

@alterlinux1234
If you can chroot into the installed system

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Go to line logind-check-graphical=false
Uncomment the line and change it to true and save the file.
So it looks like this. logind-check-graphical=true

ctrl + o then enter to save
ctrl + x to exit

Then see if you are still getting the black screen.

nvidia-drm.modeset=0 as kernel parameter could let you boot // like here before Blank Screen right after new update - #68 by joekamprad

but only adding nvidia-drm.modeset=0 instead of nouveau.blacklist=yes modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

1 Like

Okay, thanks Rick and Joe. I’m still working on how to chroot into the system… so I should change the lightdm conf file? Should I do both nvidia-drm.modeset=0 and change lightdm? Thanks all. I will not blacklist the nouveau and only use nvidia-drm.modeset=0…Thanks so much joe and rick!

Please try what joe has given first.

chrooting into the system is actually not that hard.You need to know the disk and partitions that you installed EndeavourOS to. From your hardware i see you have an nvme m.2 drive and a hard drive. I’m assuming you installed EndeavourOS to the nvme drive if you did automatic partitioning.

So you just need to boot on the live ISO. The instructions are all on the link i gave you in the wiki. You basically have to find out the disk names that EndeavourOS is installed on first. There is a command for that. Then follow the instructions as you need to be root user first and then mount the / partition at /mnt and then mount the efi partition at /mnt/boot/efi. But, you need to know the names in order to put them in the commands. Then you arch-chroot /mnt

It’s all explained in the wiki. It’s not that difficult and this is a good learning excercise.

1 Like

Yeah I did automatic partitioning, and you are right I have an nvme0n1 drive and a sda drive. the Command to find where Endeavour is installed is lsblk right? I think I know how to go into root. I am learning alot how to install Endeavour. It’s a slow process but it is helping me know more about my computer. Thanks all.

Okay, I will do that right now. In the exact place where you showed me where to put nouveau.blacklist=yes modprobe.blacklist=nouveau I will put nvidia-drm.modeset=0. Basically what I am trying to do is force my computer to use a NVIDIA driver instead of the i915 driver right?

I think the commands are this:

sudo cgdisk /dev/nvme0n1

Then after I make my partitions, i have to mkfs.fat -F 32 /dev/nvme0n1p1, and mkswap /dev/nvme0n1p2 then mkfs.ext4 /dev/nvme0n1p3… Then I have to mount the partitions to /mnt and /mnt/boot/efi, while also doing swapon /dev/nvme0n1p2… but I am trying to do joe’s advice first.

No No! You don’t make the partitions to chroot into an installed system.
Edit: Did you not read the wiki?

Edit2: This will destroy what you already have. You only need to know what partition is / and which one is the efi partition and mount them properly.

1 Like

Ah okay. I read the discovery page that your sent me. Is that the endeavour wiki? I did not do that part yet I just tried joe’s method and still the black screen. Okay, so I did not do the cgdisk but just mount them correct?

BTW thanks Joe, I am trying to learn as much as I can before I try anything too drastic.

I sent you the correct wiki to chroot into an UEFI installed system? Not sure what you are reading but you really need to read it if you want to understand. Directions sometimes are not spelled out exactly step by step. You have to read the information and then understand what you need to do.

It’s very simple. You boot on the live ISO.
You want to mount the proper partitions of the installed system. One being / and the other being the boot or efi partition. Normally if it’s installed on /dev/nvme0n1 which is the name of the disk. Then the partitions usually are /dev/nvme0n1p1 /dev/nvme0n1p2 and so on. You need to know which one is root and which one is the efi boot partition. Then you need to mount them properly according to the instructions in the wiki. I don’t know where you got cgdisk from?
The first thing on the page is

sudo fdisk -l

Please read the information on the wiki and if anything doesn’t make sense then ask specific questions related to it.

Again it’s this page on the wiki.

1 Like

I wanted you to try what joe sent you first to see if that works as chrooting into the system is something you can also try after only if necessary and then you’ll be able to update it and make some of those changes which may or may not work but you won’t know until you try.

1 Like

I tried what joe told me to do. I got the blank screen again. I am reading through the wiki again, but I think I get everything up to mounting the boot partitions. There are two boot partitions? /mnt/boot and /mnt/boot/efi? I think I’m supossed to skip the step of /mnt/boot and just do the /mnt/boot/efi right?

P.S. and the cgdisk thing is something i just saw a while ago and thought might be what I was supossed to do…sorry…not from the wiki sorry.

You want to boot on the live ISO
Then become root by

sudo su

Then mount the root partition

mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt (if this is your root partition)

Then mount the efi partition

mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot/efi (if this is your efi partition)

If you read the wiki properly we skipped a step because there isn’t a boot partition separate

Then you

arch-chroot /mnt

Read the wiki but this is how it’s done if i didn’t make any mistakes.

1 Like

Yes! I think I did that properly…then should I just try and restart the computer or do I need to make changes once I chrooted?

You need to make changes first.
So why don’t you see if you can update it first.

1 Like

Okay, just to be sure update you mean sudo pacman -Syy and then sudo pacman -Syu?