Blank icon on panel after new installation

I just did a clean install of EOS using the latest ISO. I picked Plasma DE as I usually do and I noticed that I have a blank icon where Discover package manager usually is in a KDE Plasma install. On an standard KDE Archlinux install I just add packagekit-qt to make Discover work.

Can someone explain what is going on with Discover on EOS? is this a bug or what should I be using for a GUI package manager?

1 Like

Yes, that is because it is installed with the defaults and we don’t install discover or any graphical paclage managers.

As for the default GUI package manager, please read this:

If you want a GUI package manager, there are 3 options for you to choose from. All are in the AUR. pamac-aur, octopi and bauh

But you shouldn’t. Discover uses packagekit and packagekit has no support for manual intervention. Using any packagekit-based solution on an Arch-based distro is a good way to break your install.

Of course, you can still do that on EndeavourOS by installing discover and packagekit-qt5

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. is pamac-aur okay to use or will it possibly break my install just like Discover?

1 Like

Pamac is more focussed on Manjaro and it, not the system, can break once in a while.
If you want a somewhat more reliable GUI package manager, try bauh.

4 Likes

pamac-aur is made to be used with pacman/alpm so it shouldn’t break your system.

However, since it follows the Manjaro repos, there are times when pamac itself may not work.

1 Like

Thanks, I don’t install many packages via a GUI, but it’s helpful to find them since I can’t spell very well.

3 Likes

Then bauh is perfect.

You may like pacseek CLI package manager.
It follows archlinux standards and has several configurations to make it work as you prefer.

I would definitely suggest pacseek for an archlinux package manager.

2 Likes

For me, a nice terminal “EOS-tool” to have an eye-friendly way to display installed packages would be perfectly enough