Black Screen on Login after System Update - No TTY Access Either

So I’m relatively new to EndeavourOS, but this isn’t my dirst rodeo with an Arch-based Distro.

Anyway, I’ll get straight to the point;
I updated my system using yay -Syu and upon restart of the system following that update I can now login, but, I can’t actually do ANYTHING.

When I login the screens all turn black and just do nothing.
No mouse input.
No Keyboard Input.
TTY doesn’t work.

So I can’t even get any logs…

And it is the Kernel 5.12.1 Update + Plasma 5.21 Update that causes this.

You might want to downgrade the kernel and Plasma for a few days then. I have anecdotal word that might help.

BTW - on another system, there is a newer 5.12 update available. No personal experience with it yet (on my main systems, I’m still on 5.11.16-zen because I have ZFS running) - but I saw it somewhere…

Sounds like I am SOL then until this is resolved upstream by the sounds of it…

Perhaps - unless the 5.12.2.arch1-1 version on the new kernel already fixes it?

Hello @TOGLK
I haven’t had any issue with Plasma and i just updated again to the latest kernel 5.12.2 & Plasma 5.21.5 Do you have nvidia?

inxi -Fxxxz --no-host

Edit: I guess if you have no TTY you could boot on the live ISO.

I have no problems either. 5.12.2 + Plasma 5.21.5

Hey,

So hardware wise I have the following setup;

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengence LP @ 2133MHz (4x16GB) DDR4
GPU No.001: AMD Radeon VII 16GB
GPU No.002: AMD Radeon HD 7770GHz Edition 2GB
Storage No.001: 1TB WD Blue SATA SSD
Storage No.002: 1TB WD Blue SATA SSD
Storage No.003: 4TB WD Red SATA 3.5" 5400RPM HDD (CMR)
Storage No.004: 4TB WD Red SATA 3.5" 5400RPM HDD (CMR)
Storage No.005: 4TB Seagate SATA 3.5" 5400RPM HDD (SMR)
Storage No.006: 4TB Seagate SATA 3.5" 5400RPM HDD (SMR)

Displays:
3× LG 22" HDMI Monitors (Via DisplayPort Adapters) - Radeon VII
1× Dell 21.5" DVI Monitor (Via HDMI Adapter) - Radeon VII
1× 18.5" VGA Monitor (Via DVI Adapter) - Radeon HD 7770GHz Edition 2GB

Hopefully this is useful, to someone… Haha

OMG! Now that’s hardware! Big hardware= Big Problems! :rofl:

Edit: I’m surprised with amd you have an issue but not really considering your elaborate hardware. Could be numbers of things. Are you going to boot on the live ISO and chroot into it and attempt to downgrade or try somethings? The 5.12.2 kernel is out.

So it seems haha

At the moment I can’t update at all because it just goes to an unusable black screen when I login.

I have other HDD’s connected which I didn’t list (because they aren’t in use).
And I have some USB devices connected, but nothing that should cause issues like this… Unless Keyboards & Mice are problematic.

No issues here with 5.12.2-zen1-1-zen.
On Cinnamon and Gnome :wink:

I guess you are going to have to determine is it a hardware issue ? Or software?

Try booting with one monitor attached via HDMI. Let’s try to rule some things out.

1 Like

I agree with @BONK

Edit: If only i had a Threadripper! :laughing:

I’ll load up, and use TTY before logging in to my user session and then use my Timeshift Backup to restore to just before the update was installed.

Having used Manjaro for 2 years I got experienced with making Timeshift Backups prior to updating because of the amount of times Manjaro would just fail for seemingly no reason…

1 Like

Sounds like an excellent plan. But then where does one go? Because the next kernel is out. I guess from that starting point look at what all the updates are?

Yeah, my plan is to see what each update is, and, if such a feature is possible, update 1 package at a time until it becomes broken again.

Well I haven’t had any issues related to this before now, but I guess that I can give it a try and see what happens.

Even if this was the cause, it wouldn’t help me at all because I have my system setup in such a way that all monitors are used at all times to make the most of my screen real-estate.

Do you use the welcome app at all?

Haha, well… I don’t…
But…
I haven’t actually disabled it from launching automatically on login yet…

Could it be that the Welcome App is crashing my user session?
It’d be funny if it was, as that’s kind of the opposite of being welcoming, a kind of sarcastic irony to it, sounds like very British Comedy to me hahaha

You could chroot to your system and look at /var/log/pacman.log to see what got updated this time. Perhaps that could give you some ideas. Or actually no need to chroot. Just mount your system partition and navigate to to the file.