Black screen during boot, including live boot from USB, but randomly

I would boot into Windows and make sure that the fast startup feature is turned off as it uses hiberfil. It is in the power management settings. This is not fast boot. This is a Windows fast start up feature.

1 Like

This was turned on. I shut it off but didn’t stop the no display. I will leave that setting off anyways.

So are you unable to boot into EOS at all?

No, I still can. Basically, if I get a no-display boot, I restart, let the system boot until “Starting arch version” displays, then restart again, and the next run will usually get me back to login.

Well if it were me i would probably reinstall & try a different desktop. Xfce or KDE Just to see if there is any difference or have you tried that already?

Edit: That;s just what i would do and i know you said this is fresh so it can’t hurt.

1 Like

Does the live boot USB run KDE? It has the same issue, then.

The live boot usb is xfce. So if it has the same issue then it’s something needed on boot to correct the problem?

Edit: You have secure boot turned off in Bios?

Yeah, it gave me the same issues. I’ll try the BIOS direction again and see if that goes anywhere.

Yup!

And it would have to be something not Arch specific, too. My partner and I both got these graphics cards at the same time and both have this issue, mine on Endeavour and his on PopOS. They’re both running Gnome Wayland.

Well I’m not a Gnome fan so i can’t say much about that. :smile:

Yeah I jumped off KDE because I was running into xorg related artifacting. Honestly I could probably go back now that I’m on Wayland.

Thank you so much for spending the last three hours trying to help me, by the way. Don’t feel like you have to hang around when you’re ready to go. I’ll keep hammering through this and researching OR I’ll deal with the restarting fix until something changes in the next few months lol.

I just did an Arch Gnome install over the weekend on a 6700xt and it boots out of the box something else is going on here.

2 Likes

I was really hoping it was related to some Nvidia-specific driver loading that the kernel was doing on my last install. I’m doing a BIOS flash now and I might try a full install of KDE and see where that takes me. I’m not hopeful but I’m also desperate.

It is strange as i never have these issues and i never get these artifacts that people have? Especially with amdgpu on KDE? Never!

Well it was with NVIDIA with the artifacting. Linux was the reason I switched to AMD.
So I’ve updated the BIOS and I can’t get it to post now. It won’t proceed past a VGA light on the mobo. lol

What does this show? Post the link.

sudo dmesg | eos-sendlog

lol I might be out of luck sending you anything for a short bit until I get past these bios issues.

Just a question? What cables are you using for the display?

Displayport or HDMI.