Black screen during boot, including live boot from USB, but randomly

Are you using the latest ISO? If it is old from like April it won’t boot that card since it predates the firmware release for that card.

Yes, I’ve just installed and updated to the latest, since the issue was with the live boot and my installed OS anyways.

1 Like

Does amdgpu need to be in double quotes or parenthesis? The example in the conf file shows in parens, and then the actual MODULES="" has double-quotes.

Yes that’s fine.

MODULES=“amdgpu”

1 Like

@Panthon13
Is your UEFI Bios up to date? Post the link

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog
1 Like

Nope, still no display.

Okay are you removing things you try that don’t work so you know where you are? Starting from the same place each time?

You could try this kernel parameter also in the grub command line. Make sure you are updating grub when you add things to it with sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

So try this one.

amdgpu.dc=0

Yes, I’ve been undoing everything as I go. I’ll get the UEFI info posted in a second, then I’ll try the kernel param.

https://clbin.com/XHLst

Not sure what your UEFI Bios version is? Is it up to date?

This is on Gnome right?

Yes, this is on Gnome with GDM. I’ve tried LightDM too to make sure it wasn’t that.
The live USB used xorg.

amdgpu.dc=0

This didn’t work either.

Is this just the BIOS version of my board or is the UEFI version a separate thing?
My board is on E7C92AMS.150 and the lastest version is .180A I believe. I flashed and reverted that update today after it killed my linux bootloader and didn’t fix my issue.

I think it’s version 18 and the latest is version 19 beta. Should be okay. Once the beta version becomes final then update it.

Edi: I’m surprised that setting amdgpu in the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf didn’t work?

Yeah that didn’t work. It changed the “Starting linux arch 250…” screen slightly. It no longer shows the couple lines that immediately follow that one, like the journal check etc. Just a single line of text when amdgpu is set.

Oh, something I just thought of. This same issue also randomly happens when resuming from suspend. Black screen of no display connected. Computer turns on, slows down and shows nothing. I have to restart. It’s also just as random.

Do you have dual boot Windows?

I can try reflashing my bios to that latest version and install EndeavourOS again. I’m pretty much sitting on a clean plate as it is anyways.

Yes, Windows and EOS are on their own drives.