Auto-hiding panels go below windows

I am trying to set up bspwm from scratch. If I use xfce4-panel and set it to auto-hide, it goes below the windows (fine if I don’t hide it).

I find the “citrus” panels a bit basic, but am open to suggestions if anyone knows a panel that works with autohide.

I can raise it with xdo:

xdo raise -m -N Xfce4-panel -n xfce4-panel

But that doesn’t stick for long.

Try using tint2. You’ll probably like tint2 better than xfce4-panel. Other good options are polybar, lemonbar, and in a slightly different vein dmenu and rofi.

I have written a lot on the topic. All my posts are here (they’re free):

1 Like

I used to use tint2 with my XFCE/i3. It was the only one I could get to auto hide with the tiling manager in any acceptable way for me.

tint2 does exactly the same thing:

polybar works fine with bspwm - and you can toggle autohide with the mouse or set a key bind for it using hideit.sh

Polybar is too basic, I currently am using lxqt-panel and have given up on the idea.

you can have systray in polybar too - and clickable modules with different function for left and right click - so curious how it’s too basic?

I just didn’t like it. It looks (IMHO) awful.

Fair enough :+1:
(It’s up to you to make it look good tho :sunglasses:)

Have a workaround using leap from aur and mate-panel. Will document it later when I have time this evening.

[eDP1]
bottom=/home/stevef/.config/lead/xdo.sh
bottomLeft=
bottomRight=
left=/home/stevef/.config/lead/xdo.sh
right=
top=/home/stevef/.config/lead/xdo.sh
topLeft=
topRight=
  • xdo.sh script:
#!/bin/bash
xdo raise -N Mate-panel

I placed the panels top and bottom centre:

Bump top or bottom ensures the panels do not go underneath.

Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

the top I get -some info and systray right?
bottom for workspaces?

brw you use rofi?

Yes and yes, it is mainly for the systray.

My rofi:

I have lots of modules configured:

modi: "window,top,run,drun,clipboard:greenclip print,calc";

Greenclip is really useful, but it chokes on big images, but you can blacklist programs in it’s config.

I used to control everything from roffi - didn’t even have a bar

nowadays it’s just a oneliner (inspired by dmenu) - a keybind opens it in run mode

can also open drun with left click on poly - right click opens in window mode

2 Likes