Audio control not adjusting volume

Hello people,

I am running a rather fresh install of EndeavourOS on my machine (i3wm) and I noticed my volume control doesn’t seem to work as expected. I am using a ROG Strix Fusion Wireless from Asus as my audio device. The weird behaviour with the control is that it kind of works, but only values that do anything to the actual audio volume are 1-5 which I assume is half volume and 10 (according to pavucontrol and i3 status bar) after which I feel like the audio is at 100%. Application specific audio control seems to be working as expected, but master volume does not. It could be just me making a mistake and application specific slider actually overriding the master volume for the output, but this feels strange.

so TLDR: master volume doesn’t seem to affect audio output in a linear fashion on USB headset

Audio:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU106 High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 16
    link-max: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s bus-ID: 07:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:10f9
    class-ID: 0403
  Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: gen: 4 speed: 16 GT/s lanes: 16
    bus-ID: 09:00.4 chip-ID: 1022:1487 class-ID: 0403
  Device-3: ASUSTek ROG Strix Fusion Wireless type: USB
    driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus-ID: 7-1:5 chip-ID: 0b05:185a
    class-ID: 0300
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.31-1-lts running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: no
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes

It actually seems I might have found the solution. I tend to swap around my headset between my desktop and my work laptop, and seems stopping both pipewire.service and pipewire.socket, and then restarting them fixed the issue.

Not saying this is a solution to your problem, but it’s worth considering. I had weird non-linear volume control problems with pipewire that I could not solve, so I installed pulseaudio and removed pipewire. Problem solved. I didn’t need the additional advantages of pipewire.

See:
Replace pipewire by pulseaudio
Removing pipewire

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.