Asus Tuf A15 2021 Ryzen 7 5800H + Nvidia 3060 keyboard backlight control

Hello everyone,

after pulling out my hairs for many weeks now on getting the keyboard backlight control to work on EndeavourOS (not only EndeavourOS tbh) and not finding any working solution i decided to ask for some help in the forum.

I’m on KDE DE running Linux 5.14.10.arch1-1.

Not seeking for spoon feeding but more looking for directions and suggestions on where to look to solve this issue. Still a Linux noob here and coming from Windows environment however made the decision to step away from windows. Searching the Wiki’s and also googling as crazy haven’t brought any solutions and this keyboard Christmas tree is driving me nuts. I purchased this laptop mainly for the hardware and am not a gamer.

Hope you guys don’t mind me asking for some help on this as for the most of you this will be childsplay for sure. Many thanks in advance for tips and hints!!

Btw EndavourOS is really super!! Love it!! Many thanks to the devs for this distro!!

Can you run systemctl --failed | eos-sendlog and post the link. Also sudo dmesg | eos-sendlog

systemctl log https://clbin.com/6PMEp

dmesg log https://clbin.com/T1hxI

first log doesn’t show too much

1 Like

I see in the grub command line the following.

[    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/@/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=2789d65a-e1ab-40ea-89c9-221047c0993c rw rootflags=subvol=@ quiet acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor quiet resume=UUID=ec8d6d84-b858-40f1-81ea-bce96ba068a3 loglevel=3 nowatchdog acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor

Did you add the acpi kernel parameters? Some are listed twice too?

Look for rogauracore on github; that works for me on the Rog strix 3 Asus.

yes i added acpi_backlight=vendor to grub command after some recommendation found online but that didn’t do anything. Should i delete it again? Will check also as i only added it once as i remember.

Thanks will check but i think the Strix has a different keyboard that the Tuf, when i check the Tuf does not list the keyboard in the usb list

USB: Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0
Hub-2: 1-1:2 info: Genesys Logic Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0
Device-1: 1-1.2:7 info: G2Touch Multi-Touch by G2TSP type: Mouse,HID rev: 2.0
Device-2: 1-1.3:4 info: Fresco Logic Generic Billboard Device type: Billboard
rev: 2.0
Device-3: 1-2:3 info: HP HP USB Slim Keyboard - Skylab type: Keyboard,HID rev: 2.0
Device-4: 1-4:5 info: Sonix USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam type: Video rev: 2.0
Hub-3: 2-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 3.1
Hub-4: 3-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0
Device-1: 3-2:2 info: Logitech Unifying Receiver type: Keyboard,Mouse,HID rev: 2.0
Device-2: 3-3:3 info: IMC Networks Wireless_Device type: Bluetooth rev: 2.1
Hub-5: 4-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 3.1

shit, indeed 2 entries here

GRUB boot loader configuration

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=“EndeavourOS”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet resume=UUID=ec8d6d84-b858-40f1-81ea-bce96ba068a3 loglevel=3 nowatchdog acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“quiet acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor”

You have doubles so i would delete the double entries for both. There are two different ones. You only need one. So do that and would change it to acpi_backlight=video. So you need to edit the grub file using a text editor such as nano and save the changes.

/etc/default/grub

Then update grub with

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Then reboot and check.

Edit: This is what i use on my HP Ryzen and it works.
Edit2: I don’t use any other back lighting packages it just works with this.

ok will do thank you

rebooted but now my laptop screen has no more brightness control whereas with acpi_backlight=vendor in place it has.

Really strange laptop this Tuf

Okay… you can also try acpi_backlight=native

ok

ok screen backlight also works with native, keyboard backlight still not working

Okay… sorry i was thinking it was the screen backlighting. So maybe you will need the package that @onyxnz suggested. Sorry for the confusion I know your post says keyboard. My HP doesn’t have a backlit keyboard.

No problem, really appreciate your help !! Will try @onyxnz solution, hope that will bring salvation.

Thank you!!

I have a desktop with Ryzen and a backlit keyboard but it is usb and is a semi-mechanical keyboard with it’s own firmware chip on it so no issue.

Really starting to think i made a wrong purchase here and should have place a bit more $$$ on the table for a Strix or other model from Asus.

The machine works as good as perfect it’s just this keyboard backlight that’s driving me nuts.

You means this package?

https://aur.archlinux.org/rogauracore-git.git

Edit: installing will try it out

1 Like