Arm install from Welcome

No…

I booted on the ssd and it hasn’t fully booted. I don’t think it has a network connection although it’s plugged into the ethernet and it is working the micro sd card that came with Noobs on it.

Can you try using a uSD card first? If you have a spare one?

I would but have no adapter to use to load it.

Question when i use the imager off of the Welcome and i have to tell it what drive. I use /dev/sdc?

Edit: I can use btrfs? I’m trying again to boot the ssd on the Pi 400.

To me, it looks like when you tried to boot the first time and found out the TV was off, then if you booted a second time with the TV on, it may have messed up booting into OPENBOX and Calamares may not have got launched at all.

Another thing about RPi ARM devices. These have very stripped down hardware to fit on the small foot print. The GPU on an arm device is quite dependent on the TV / Monitor being on and looking for a signal BEFORE you power up the RPi. If you power up the Pi and then turn on the monitor, then quite often it will not boot right and require an additional reboot. Since your first boot occurred with the TV off, that might have done it in.

That is totally dependent on your hard ware setup. Look for clues in the lsblk as to which one is the target USB SSD. The live ISO USB Thumb drive should indicate ISO and since it was booted from, it should be mounted to / and possibly /boot. I am sure your storage devices in your x86_64 are NVME? If so lsblk should indicate this.

If you can’t determine which is the target storage device from the lsblk. Then the only ABSOLUTE way to be sure would be to fire up the x86_64 computer with the live ISO and the target USB SSD NOT connected. When the live ISO boots up, bring up the XFCE4 terminal.
Do a lsblk -f
and list the available devices, such as /dev/sda, /dev/mmcwhatever, etc.
Now connect the USB SSD and do another lsblk -f
A new device should appear. Probably /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc The new device is your target storage device.

Close the terminal window, press “Install EndeavourOS Arm” button to start the install.
When it asks to enter the target storage device, enter the device name of the new device from the second lsblk -f

Pudge

I’m sure it’s the right device. I just asked because i don’t know the format of how the installer works. The problem is it’'s not completing a boot on it. I tried again and i have another kernel panic.

I don’t know for sure. We know it works on the RPi 4b and If I remember correctly, I think @NeoFax or @lxnauta may have tested btrfs on the RPi 400, but I’m not sure.

I recommend using ext4 till you get used to things. Keep It Simple & Safe (KISS) and start out by learning to walk , then learn to run.

Pudge

1 Like

So if i booted it and the TV was off how do i get it back working because i did turn it on and have booted it numerous times.

I already tripped and I’m wounded! :laughing:

There is a lot of stuff that happens on the FIRST BOOT only. If that opportunity was missed, the only thing I can recommend is starting afresh on the live ISO.

Pudge

I have done that and it’s not working. I got a kernel panic again on booting the SSD. I’m trying to load a usb drive now instead with ext4. I will also try ext4 on the ssd.

1 Like

Does one of your LapTops have a full size SD connector?
Does your micro SD have a uSD to SD adapter?

Pudge

1 Like

Oh ya i forgot i have two laptops with card readers. :rofl: I’m just not thinking about this. I only have some crappy micros sd cards though. I think I’ll go tomorrow and get some new ones.

1 Like

I have tried Raspberry Pi Os 32 bit & 64 bit on the ssd and i get this error.

error is mmc1: Controller never released inhibit bit(s)

I also tried Manjaro and it doesn’t boot although i don’t see this on the screen.

Edit: I think I’ll try some Micro sd cards instead when i pick up a couple.

I use btrfs on my RPI400 and have used both a uSD/external SSD and thumb drive. However the external SSD I need for another project and the thumb drive was extremely slow. RPI’s are very finicky with what works best on them. As for installing, I cannot use the x86_64 image so I just use the old way of doing it and burn the image to the disk.

I’ll look into this issue but I might be of much help since I can’t test it.

I think your testing will help us fix bugs we didn’t know we had.

I have never used or tried btrfs.

But I now have a raspberry pi 4 8GB and an nvme drive in an external enclosure and I can try to replicate any situation with these (or with an SD), if this is helpful.

1 Like

Yes please thank you!! I have been using btrfs on a micro SD card for over a month and it is still running fine.

But I haven’t got a Rpi 400 - it’s a rpi 4b. So should I just make a test install using:

• the new Calamares install method;
  • the nvme drive;
  • btrfs;
  • and any DE of my choice?
2 Likes

yes!!

1 Like