[ARM] How to install EndeavouroS Arm part 2

After you have installed the Archlinux Arm base image on a uSD or eMMC card in step one.

You are now ready to install EndeavourOS and your choice of DE on top of the Archlinx base install.
Insert the uSD with the installed Archlinux base into the SBC. Hook up an Ethernet cable, HDMI cable, keyboard and power.

For a desktop install

Go to

Click on EOS-desktop-installations.pdf
This will open the pdf in a very basic github viewer. Click on “download” and the pdf will appear in a browser pdf viewer. From here you can save or print the manual.

Jump to page 5 and follow the instructions there. Basically you assure the internet is available. Then install the Archlinux arm keys. Then update the image before installing new packages. Fairly standard for Arch. Install git with pacman.
Reboot & log back in as root
use git clone to download the script and it’s support files.
Run the script.

Enter information for the install and let the script run until finished.
After installing EndeavourOS and your DE, you might want to install an External SSD and configure it as your /home directory as suggested in the desktop manual.
go to the above git hub link and click on
Add_USB-SSD_as_home.pdf
for instructions on how to do this.

For a headless server install

If you are installing a very base Archlinux install for a headless sever, do everything in Step one exactly the same. Put the uSD or eMMC in the SBC, hook up an Ethernet cable, HDMI cable, keyboard, and power. Then follow the instructions for a server install. Go to the above github link and click on
EOS-server-instructions.pdf
As above click on “download” and either save or print the pdf.
Go to page six and follow the instructions. This will install services for a headless server. and do the following:

Enter the requested information required for configuration. The following will occur
Additional packages will be installed to complete the server environment.
The time zone is set NTP is enabled
The hardware clock is synced if present.
Locale is set
Hostname is set
/etc/hosts is configured
delete default user “alarm” & create specified user name & password
Configure for the specified static IP
Configure SSH including specified port number
Configure and enable the ufw firewall
Provides the option to auto partition, format, and mount the USB 3.0 SSD for the
External USB DATA device.

Then instructions follow on how to set up a Linux client computer to use the server using FUSE and sshfs.

Also in the git hub manual repository are manuals for
Setup_SAMBA.pdf how to install SAMBA on your server for Windows users
Setup_miniDLNA.pdf how to setup a DLNA server for streaming media
Backup_Data.pdf how to setup an external USB SSD for backing up the DATA SSD

That ought to keep you busy for a while.

I hope you enjoy your EndeavourOS Arm experience.

Pudge

6 Likes

Hello Pudge,

it’s been a while since my last visit here, having a new raspi i tried to install again, but i cannot find the mentioned git address (??) for your script.
Did i miss something?

happy day
Utz

EDIT login required?

1 Like

There’s this one for the image-install and then this other one for the manuals. Hopefully those are what you are looking for.

1 Like

Well, yes the 1st link. No idea why my git clone did not work :frowning:

thank you

Utz

1 Like

I tried it, and it’s nice but only installing a base Arch on SD card.
What I am looking for is the endeavourous install script which includes Desktops and all …

^(Bang head here)^
i had a typo in the git url

2 Likes

@Utzinger
How did the install go? You probably noticed one or two slight improvements since you were basically testing RPi4 for us, as I didn’t have a RPi4 at that time. Wow, 4 months ago, where does the time go. I have one now.

I hope you didn’t install Gnome for a DE, as Gnome 3.38 doesn’t appear to play very nice with ARM architecture so far.

Pudge

hi Pudge,
yes, been a while and i see some improvements in your installer :slight_smile:
You did really nice. Congrats

I had a break after my cat drained my raspi, having a new one now. Still a pain with each of my keyboards and mice.
Had quite a messy install day, but in the end, well, here i am on my new raspi EndeavourOS-ARM.
i did like the the gnome in 2000 I suppose, but made my way with fluxbox > openbox > and now lxqt.

Dualmonitors still feel slow.

Thank you for all the nice work

Utz

3 Likes