ArchLabs Release

I have to admit something, I have never used a VM or VB. Ever.

I don’t like them and I have always felt you never get the true feel of a distro if you install it as a virtual install. A bare metal install is the only way to go.

8 Likes

on using VM it often is true that issues comes off the use of a VM itself, more recently then times before.
For me ArchLabs is working very slick on virtualmanager (Qemu).
I do love all that options implemented for boot and different partitioning ways, default possible to do not use a DM at all, having systemd-boot as an option, that`s a big big wauh!

And no freezes here on both VirtualManager and Virtualbox.

2020-11-06_09-09

2 Likes

On VirtualBox use VBoxSVGA for video (might need reinstall guest though)

3 Likes

Yes I had VBoxSVGA selected when installing. Should of added that to the above.

1 Like

@anon61101858, forgot how good and light ArchLabs was. Regret closing my account there 2 or 3 years back. Having a lot of fun setting up XFCE4 with the only options I want. :star_struck:

1 Like

Great to hear!

You are more than welcome to open a new account, hope you join us there as well :smiley:

3 Likes

I added the 3D option and changed the display to “VboxSVGA” and got into the install, but I had the same “freeze” happen when I got to the user/password part of things. I’m not sure it was the place I was in the install as much as it was the time it had taken me to get there, but I don’t know that for sure. Time to look into virtualmanager.

I get the same on my system. I tried Anarchy linux also which does the same. The one that doesn’t though is Archbang that is using the zen installer. It seems to work without freezing in vbox.

FWIW, I got this release installed and running fine on qemu on my system. No clue what the issue was/is with vbox, but qemu seems to work much better for this. I’ve done a little messing around with things, but I’m enjoying it so far for sure. Lots of tiling options to mess with, which is what I’m diving into at the moment. Thanks for the work @anon61101858 :beers:

3 Likes

Thanks for downloading and installing!

3 Likes

@anon61101858 any plan for ArchLabs Arm ? or you already have ? I be interested in trying it :+1:

1 Like

@anon61101858
I also got Archlabs installed on qemu this morning. I don’t know what the issue is with virtual box either. I will play with it some more on qemu.

2 Likes

If you have an external USB device for backup unplug it.

1 Like

Chances are slim to none. Archlabs basically is what Nate and I would use as our own system (though saying that both our setups are very different to default AL) and neither of us use ARM.

Maybe if we end up purchasing a Pinephone or something, but no plans right now.

Interesting, wonder what is going on with VB?

3 Likes

Had a chance to put some good time in using the latest release without any issues at all in VirtualBox.
Installed Xfce4 and Openbox on the install and have been using both. Made a few changes to tint2 and added my wallpaper but other than that, it’s stock.

ArchLabs

6 Likes

We just uploaded our latest release. Not much more than a refresh but hey! At least is is shiny and new.

https://archlabslinux.com/get/

11 Likes

Great! Looking forward to giving it a spin soon

2 Likes