Arch linux installation with xfce

does any of you wizards have a list of commands to do an install of arch linux with an xfce desktop please? I have tried several times using simplified google search results but they or I have always failed, thats why I use endeavouros, its easy to install and its awesome. but If i can install arch it would make my day

Your duckduckgo is out of order? google is in covid19 trapped as “stayhome”?
archfi

or use garuda linux :slight_smile:

3 Likes

endeavor is an archlinux

1 Like

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

3 Likes

Arch wiki installation guide is the only true way to install Arch. Or so smart Arch purists guys say. Anyway, it works.

3 Likes

I will say, if you truly want to learn and own your system, there’s nothing better than doing and completeing a proper Arch install. If you just want to run Arch without completely knowing how to use it, I would suggest Endeavour. If you want “easy” arch, SGS posted the archfi script. You will need to know what you’re doing since you could easily ruin your install through the selection process. You will not truly understand it though. There is an awful lot to be said about proper install.

That being said I probably won’t ever do another proper install. Unless I’m exceptionally ambitious.

2 Likes

The Archlinux wiki has a thorough installation guide. Just take your time and work through the wiki and the links that provide a little more explanation. There are also good YouTube guides and this Arch Install is a recent one that I watched to check if my personal guide is still correct.

1 Like

@atg
For example github is full of Arch installer programs and scripts (including source code), so pick one.

If you install the Arch way and look at the details from the installer, you should be good to go.

@atg

maybe this could be intresting, this evening: :slight_smile:

1 Like

First time I installed Arch it took almost 6 hours, but then I did it over night, while watching Friends on the second computer (which i also had the Arch Wiki up on). I also screwed up mounting and had to backtrack after 3.5 hours.

I’ve done it twice after that and… concluded I have better things to do with life than doing it without an installer (though I now can do it without feeling rushed in <45 min). Hence Endeavour Online Installer with a lot of things unchecked. I have also used Manjaro Architect a number of times and to me that is definitely the best way installing Manjaro.

I have also used the Zen installer, but quite frankly unless you want the “A” in Neofetch without “cheating” (altering the neofetch.conf) just go with Endeavour online install. Heck just install the base and put in the DE manually if you want.

It is also worth pointing out that one one hand “Tailor make your system” is true-ish with an Arch install, but on the other hand the pacman packages are VERY big and contain a lot of things. Your Arch install is actually far less lean than what the Arch Forums will make you believe:
A “bog standard Arch install” with a DE and printer support etc usually end up out of the box between 750 and 850 packages depending on your hardware and software needs. Now if you install an RPM based distro like Fedora or Suse, the the same amount of actual software gives you 1500 to 2500 packages.

Because their packages are smaller with more dependencies instead. A minimal openSuse tumbleweed install is not more bloated than Arch despite showing 1700 or so packages in Neofetch.

1 Like

What is an "A"in Neofetch? :thinking: I don’t understand the obsession with having as little packages as possible. Sure, the less the better, but altering neofetch.conf to fake that it’s just… To each their own :smile:

The Arch Linux logo.

Ahh…That’s very important as well :smile:

2 Likes

I am not sure why you want that, but if you did you could just delete /etc/pacman.d/hooks/lsb-release.hook and then re-install the package lsb-release. That would basically make your system identify itself as Arch instead of EndeavourOS. But, yeah, still cheating.

NOTE: Since it seems inevitable that someone will try this and then realize that there is no way to go back, here are the original file contents:

/etc/pacman.d/hooks/lsb-release.hook
[Trigger]
Operation = Install
Operation = Upgrade
Type = Package
Target = lsb-release

[Action]
Description = Add EndeavourOS specifc config.
When = PostTransaction
Exec = /bin/sh -c "sed -i -e s'?^DISTRIB_ID=.*$?DISTRIB_ID=EndeavourOS?' -e s'?^DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=.*$?DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=\"EndeavourOS Linux\"?' /etc/lsb-release"
5 Likes

Thank you all very much, plenty to keep me busy here. I have had another failed attempt, I followed a guide that missed out creating a user, why do people put false guides online, beats me. i have so far combined arch wiki with other user guides, I try to follow the order of things from the arch wiki. Once I have cracked this I will write notes on how to, if I decide to do again.
It is very easy to install endeavouros, and its the best distro i have ever used, and iv’e tried a few :laughing:

1 Like

The new-ish arch installer that I referenced above definitely includes useradd. You do that after rebooting.

With a couple of pieces of information about your disks and locale, I could easily write you a complete step-by-step guide to an Arch installation with xfce. That being said, what would be the point of that? That would just be a more laborious alternative to using an installer. Additionally, that wouldn’t be your xfce Arch system, it would just be a copy of mine.

The value you get from installing Arch, the Arch way, comes from learning and exploration, not copying and pasting from a guide. The Arch wiki is deliberately vague in some places and stops once you have a basic CLI system. Doing the rest through a combination of research and trial and error is what makes installing Arch an accomplishment.

I understand that not everyone wants to do that. Even those that want to, may not be ready for it depending on how far along their Linux journey they are. There is nothing wrong with either of those things. But if that is where you are, there is little value in blindly following an overly specific guide about how someone else would configure their system. Just use an installer or a friendly downstream distro like EOS.

With a little bit of knowledge, patience and inquisitiveness it is not that hard to install and configure an Arch system yourself. But if you try to do it before you are ready, you will either hit a wall or not get anything out of it.

5 Likes

success guys, i have gnome arch linux on old laptop
many thanks for suggestions that video tutorial worked a treat

3 Likes

[/etc/pacman.d/hooks/lsb-release.hook]

It works the other way around too, btw. With EOS mirrors I don’t think there will be many(?) differences between Arch and Endeavour installed via Calamares?

Honestly, I would argue that there aren’t many differences between EOS and Arch with or without the repo. :grin:

This is just my personal perspective but I view EOS as a distro that enables access to the technology in Arch through:

• Building an easy to use graphical installer
  • Adding tools to make setup and usage more accessible(i.e. welcome screen, scripts for driver setup and mirror maintenance, etc)
  • Creating a positive, friendly community to help when needed
7 Likes