Apps slow on opening

Hi, since yesterday the apps take 30+ seconds to open.
Also they are slower than usual.
Any idea how to solve this issue?

Running EOS with KDE.
Kernel 5.9.

What happened yesterday that might have caused this?

Logs would be helpful. Check this Endeavor article out.

2 Likes

How often is your PC on? If something triggered a baloo reindex and you don’t let it finish it will run perpetually.

Other than that, it could be almost anything including failing hardware. As @jiibus points out, posting any errors from the logs might help us narrow it down. Other than that, there isn’t enough information to help you troubleshoot.

3 Likes

I am at work right now.
I disabled baloo a few weeks ago.
My computer works 2-3 hours per day.
I also seen some users complaining about this in reddit but i lost the thread who speaks about it.
Tomorrow I’ll try to post some logs.

I am running KDE and apps open instantly. I also have higher end hardware though.

[ricklinux@eos-kde ~]$ balooctl status
Baloo File Indexer is running
Indexer state: Idle
Total files indexed: 339
Files waiting for content indexing: 0
Files failed to index: 0
Current size of index is 60.88 MiB
[ricklinux@eos-kde ~]$ 

I have an I7 3 generation and 8Gigs of RAM
1TB HDD.
It was all good until mid afternoon…

Did this happen right after updating the system?

Maybe the hard drive is the issue.

I do not think so.
It was one of the rarest days when I spend more than 3 hours working at home. I was doing a lot at the same time.
But today the problem was still there and I just use browser and a file converter.

Must be something then. I have all the updates and is fine. But not everyone runs the same applications and packages.

Did you run htop (or an equivalent) and see what is taking your processor’s time? It might point you the right direction…

3 Likes

Applications that do not affect the system should not matter. It seems like a bottleneck within the system, like writes/rewrites to either the kernel or the hard drive/SSD. The basic EnOS/Arch system runs fine, so the issue seems to be with some changes made to the system itself, not other applications like for instance Firefox, LibreOffice etc. Have changes been made that affect the system? I’m running the latest kernel and I haven’t seen any slowing of application launching. My Firefox is slow but that’s only because I have loads of extensions running: my choice! :roll_eyes:

That’s why I said maybe the drive? At least check!

1 Like

What is the best way to check the hard drive In/outs vs the system/kernel in/outs? Please excuse me for my lack of knowledge on this. Sometimes systems seem to slowdown because of a bottleneck somewhere which does not include a hardware fault. I have looked all over Unix, Linux, Arch and all sorts of websites for a simple solution to improve efficient computations but I still cannot find an easy solution. Hey ho, I keep looking! :grin:

Strange thing.
I’m at home and all is fine for now!
I didn’t do anything…
I’ll try to push it harder to see what happens and will keep you informed.
Thank you for your helping a noob.

1 Like

If it will happen again, try to gather as much information as possible:

1. See if there are any errors there, if so post them here:

journalctl -p3 -xb

2. Check htop to see if there are some unusual processes

2 Likes