Anyone using EOS on Legion slim 7 or Zephyrus g14/15?

These are the newest models.

1 Like

This is the dream computer :star_struck: if you like somewhat mobile but power beast!

I need to do more search, hard to find if everything works out of the box or not on Linux. I am not worried about cpu/GPU drivers, but lenovo can have some quicks concerning wifi and/or sound cards with realtek driversā€¦ Trackpad generally work well.

True, the names donā€™t help confusion. slim, legion slim 7, legion 7, legions slim 7i, slim 7 pro x, :exploding_head:

1 Like

Yes and if you look at the specs.

Ryzenā„¢ 7 6800H
AMD Radeonā„¢ RX 6600S Graphics 4GB GDDR6
HDMIā„¢ 2.1
2x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 (20Gbps data transfer, DisplayPortā„¢ 1.4 135W power delivery)
Up to 24GB (8GB soldered & 1 DIMM Slot) 4800MHz DDR5
16" WQXGA display offers 165Hz Non Touch
16:10 aspect ratio
HDR for brighter, more contrasting colours.
per-key RGB backlit keyboard powered by Legion Spectrum for excellent color optimization
1080p web cam
71Whr battery
Super Rapid Charge: 80 minute charge for 100% capacity

The power button fingerprint reader gets you started swiftly and securely and indicates your fan mode with red for performance, white for intelligent, and blue for stealth.

Edit: If youā€™re in for AMD this is nice.

Edit2: In US dollars $1,324.46

Edit3: https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6600s

1 Like

found also this article useful for legion and linux, although the article is for another model and uses Nvidia and optimums. but just in case someone stumbles on this threadā€¦

https://www.ordinatechnic.com/product-reviews/Computers/Laptops/lenovo-legion-5i-pro-16ith6-review-82jf002rus

It would be really interesting how this newer AMD 16" model works with AMD graphics also.

@xircon
These models are nice because they are all AMD and have open ram slots up to 32 GB with higher end AMD graphics and nice screen size 16"

I took the plunge on the AMD CPU/GPU legion s7! There are caveats on this system, most notably the speakers donā€™t output at all :smiling_face_with_tear: the headphones work. I can see activity in pavuctl but there is no sound from the speakers. Itā€™s a known problem, I saw some discussions on bugzilla after the fact. Apparently it could be fixable if it is implemented in kernel, who knows when.

There are a couple of other hickups:

• brightness key stop working after suspend, although I can change brightness using the slider on top right gnome menu, figure out whyā€¦?!

• wifi doesnā€™t work on lts kernel (no wifi at all, neither in the settings), works only on recent kernel. One caveat is that if I have a USB stick in there and suspend or logout/restart, wifi disappears entirely. Need to reboot to make it work.

Everything else works smoothly for now, trackpad, Bluetooth, fan/cooling etc. Itā€™s a fantastic machine, cools nicely. Still need to test graphics and gaming. But considering the other bugs they add up. I have 15 days to bring it back.

At this point wondering if I am better off doing this and get a system 76 oryx pro. Or need more patience that things eventually will be fixed in the kernel if at all, since itā€™s a new model.

The downside is that system 76 only have AMD cpu with Nvidia GPU, and want to avoid Nvidia this time around. But ory pro also looks solid, but poor battery life and only 1080 screen.

Edit: might make a separate thread but the problem is similar to here:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208555

The driver should be ALC3306 but Alsa says itā€™s ALC 287. That will be very tricky to fix on my own, according to all the posts I read itā€™s really a thing that needs to be fixed upstream either in the kernel or some bios value from Lenovo.

Which one exactly did you get?

Edit: Can you post

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog

Hurray!

1 Like

Maybe you read this?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/Lenovo-Legion-7-16ACHg6-No-sound-from-speakers-with-ALC-3306/m-p/5082200?page=1

@Zircon34

For the sound try the following in

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Add

options snd-hda-intel model=auto
1 Like

I will, let me post a new thread to troubleshoot this once I am back at my computerā€¦ Thanks!

https://clbin.com/8A9ws

Itā€™s this model

that did not work. Will open a thread specific to legion with more infos about soundcard.

@Zircon34

Linux Wireless shows this for mediatek

mac80211 wireless driver for MediaTek MT7xxx series

• mt7601u driver handles MT7601U 802.11b/g/n 1T1R 2.4GHz USB Chip

• mt76 driver handles:

• MT7610U 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 1T1R 2.4/5GHz USB Chip

• MT7612/MT7602/MT7662 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2T2R 2.4/5GHz PCIe/USB Chip

• MT7630E 802.11a/b/g/n 1T1R 2.4/5GHz PCIe Chip

• MT7610E 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 1T1R 2.4/5GHz PCIe Chip

• MT7603E 802.11b/g/n 2T2R 2.4GHz PCIe chip and MT7628 802.11b/g/n 2T2R 2.4GHz SoC Device (4.7+)

• MT7615 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 4T4R 2.4/5GHz PCIe Chip (5.2+)

• MT7622 802.11b/g/n 4T4R 2.4GHz SoC Device (5.7+)

• MT7663 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2T2R 2.4/5GHz PCIe/USB/SDIO Chip (5.8+)

• MT7915 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax 4T4R 2.4/5GHz PCIe Chip (5.9+)

• MT7921 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax 2T2R 2.4/5GHz/6Hz PCIe/USB/SDIO Chip

• MT7921 PCIe is supported since (5.12+)

• MT7921 SDIO is supported since (5.16+)

• MT7921 USB is supported since (5.18+)

• 6G band is supported by MT7921K

• MT7922 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax 2T2R 2.4/5G/6GHz PCIe Chip (5.16+)

@Zircon34
Is this helpful?

Not sure, it uses a nvidia. I can try some of the fixes for minor bugs. However for audio it links back to the bugzilla tracker I linked above. https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208555#c470

To me it looks like the sound needs to be fixed in the kernel or bios, that will be very difficult for me to patch. I am most ignorant what concerns sound, I am confused by everything and may need to invest much more time understanding alsa and sound drivers on linux.

For the wifi above, do you think I should try to install one of these drivers? In general wifi is stable with newest kernel, except the odd wifi loss when rebooting with usb stuck in laptop. Very strange bugs here and there, canā€™t wrap my head around it. These I consider mostly minor annoyances in comparison to the sound problem.

I also found this on the Slim 7 Pro X (14ARH7) Maybe is helpful also? :thinking:

Microphone

The integrated dual array microphone is driven by a separate audio coprocessor (AMD ACP6x). A kernel patch is currently necessary to enable a quirk in the respective module snd_soc_acp6x_mach. If using PulseAudio, ALSA UCM probably has to be disabled.

It looks like itā€™s patched in kernel 6.0
Check the kernel patch link above

It looks like a nice laptop. Hopefully the sound issue gets fixed. Maybe the 6.0 kernel? Did you say WiFi is working?

1 Like