Anyone surprised by Google?

I doubt there are any surprises. But saw this article, hopefully folks start to learn to not trust incognito mode lol

5 Likes

The very idea that a trusted company like Google would track user activity is truly shocking.

:scream:

18 Likes

My first impression is that you buy a collander to store your passwords, and now theyā€™ve been asked to plug ONE holeā€¦ so now itā€™s surely safe.

Much as Iā€™ve enjoyed some Google stuff over the years (and thereā€™s no denying that these guys are clever) I do wonder whatā€™s next and when itā€™s going to take over.

2 Likes

That was an interesting read. Thank you for sharing. Does incognito mode even provide any benefits outside of ā€œprivateā€ browsing?

If they are spying its not PRIVATE

de8cc8ffb5aa30e496bf0b7bbb48204d7a8b9eaf_hq-2118017014

3 Likes

Not surprised in the least and known this is their pattern and behavior so how can one be shocked. This is what i hate about ALL these companies Google, Microsoft, Facebook etc etc. Itā€™s going to be even worse with AI being implemented. I donā€™t like it at all!

5 Likes

I donā€™t even know why incognito mode, or private mode/window in other browsers, are even a thing. The only thing it does in practice is just delete clear cache, cookies and browsing historyā€¦ You can set that up with 1 click.

honka_animated-128px-31

P.S.

honka_animated-128px-4

2 Likes

I think everybody I know uses it so that wherever they want to go to doesnā€™t effect their history or cookies. Soā€¦ you knowā€¦ adult entertainment stuff and the likeā€¦

4 Likes

Seems there is no space left on device.

2 Likes

I stopped using everything from google I possibly can, and started nearly 2 decades ago! I do have an Android phone, but have de-googled it as good I can and use Linux native apps from Fdroid on it mostly. For my laptop, network and workstations, I have been 100% Linux for 14 years now, and I use Duck Duck go, Open Maps, and other more FOSS centric stuff, and Firefox, and have but a single google email and whatever the google account is called now (used to be plus) in order to use YouTube, and it only, because I was on YouTube when it first got started, and there are too many great channels that havenā€™t gone to FOSS alternatives. So I was a YouTuber before google bought it and made it all creepy and nasty, so if it werenā€™t for the great content, I would be rid of it too in a heart beat, and I bet you 45,000 penguins :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:ā€¦ on it!

I donā€™t trust them at all!

1 Like

EVERYBODY knew ā€˜incognitoā€™ meant you could hide your tracks from others who may share your computer, but youā€™d never hide your browsing from them. Google never hid that. One of the rare cases Iā€™d call judicial over-reach involving those dirtbags.

The passive-aggressive apology/lie from google is GOLD: "Google spokesperson Jose Castaneda says in a statement that the company ā€œis happy to delete old technical data that was never associated with an individual and was never used for any form of personalization.ā€ "

Oh wait, and this is priceless, did anyone notice this? "Castaneda also noted that the company will now pay ā€œzeroā€ dollars as part of the settlement after earlier facing a $5 billion penalty**

they didnā€™t lose one penny here. they would have won on appeal anyway. the only cost will be the overtime paid to 2 employees as the hit the magic ā€œDELETEā€ button.

The ruthlessness of Microsoft back in the day set a precedent only to be furthur expanded by the next mega corp/gov. Seems to be the status quo of everything now a days.

1 Like