Any Linux distro underperforms with Intel graphics card - it lags when using web browsers

Did they manage to get it working?

I also followed this tutorial on how to do modsetting.

So I followed exactly what this guy did, and I also rebooted the system. But same old lag. I am not sure if I am even using the modesetting drivers?

It is my understanding from reading on the Arch forums that the modesetting driver is better on kde.

1 Like

For some reason it makes no difference :confused:

Ok so according to a user there is some dell software that I should try and install for optimisation. I will give that a try soon.

Buy a cheap AMD GPU, or something cheap from NVIDIA.
I upgraded my GPU late for ā€œBlenderā€ and I never had problems with the Intel GPU before.
As a consolation an avatar, (and so I donā€™t have to see this pink one with the U here anymore :smiley: :wink: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Make sure you are looking specifically at the hardware you have. Is it the Intel i965 or i915? There are differences so make sure you are looking at the right info.

Edit: What iā€™m getting at is there are two different things here. There is no i965 module, i915 handles all GPUs. Only mesa has separate i915 and i965 drivers. So there is a lot of stuff to look at as you have been doing. Trial and error i guess. :thinking:

2 Likes

I actually donā€™t know as much about laptops than with desktops, see I have an integrated Intel graphics card, is it possible to remove the graphics card and put an AMD graphics card?

Oh nice, what laptop do you have?

Lol thanks mate, I am now using it :slight_smile:

1 Like

You do not write about Laptop, my desktop motherboard has on board GPU,
so I think you must live with this.
And I do not read all 66 posts :wink:
tl-dr-blue :slight_smile:

1 Like

It just shows this for the graphics card on Windows, I will have to try and find out I will do a search.

Is Mesa from Intel itself? And yes there is a lot of trials and errors over here, but I hope it works out.

:frowning:

Oh lol

1 Like

By the way are you using a dell laptop?

No, old atx board ~2012, last Bios 2013.

Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P8Z77-V DELUXE v: Rev 1.xx serial: <root required> BIOS: American Megatrends 
           v: 2104 date: 08/13/2013 

1 Like

Mesa is separate not Intel.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/screen-tearing-and-lagging-using-intel-open-source-drive-i915/95065

1 Like

Maybe I am doing something wrong? I know for a fact that MX Linux has a software which allows the user to disable or enable Intel drivers instead of using modsetting, is there a GUI software that gives the same options?

Are you sure about that. I have MX on here in vbox right now. Where did you see that? They have a driver installer for Nvidia. Normally if you uninstall the intel driver it automatically goes to modestting. That is my understanding.

Edit: Did you read through this that @joekamprad posted?

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel#Installation

So there is a software called MX Tweak and under Config Options I am presented with this option. Now the thing is that I have not installed that distro on my PC and I canā€™t test it out in live mode as you can see it will ask me to reboot.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Ok so in the link you have provided me I have tried to add these lines into that file

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option      "AccelMethod"    "sna"
EndSection

That didnā€™t appear to do anything.

I havenā€™t tried this yet but I will give this a shot and see if that makes a difference. But how do I tell if I have got i965 or i915? Is there a command I can enter into the console?

Well MX is a different animal and they have some things that others donā€™t. Have you tried MX to see how it works with these tools ?
So that setting tells it to use the Intel driver instead of modsetting because as i said before modsetting is the default.

Edit: Mine doesnā€™t have those settings because i have an Nvidia card.

1 Like

I have tried it in live mode but when trying that option out to disable modesetting, it will prompt me for a reboot so I donā€™t think that is possible unless if I installed it.

Yeah I suppose.

Would I replace Driver "modesetting" with i915 If I want to try and disable modesetting? (Honestly I canā€™t remember if I did or not, so much things going on)?

I guess modesetting is for Intel GPU?

Edit: That does not do anything when I did that.

I donā€™t know if your problem is actual but I write about this just in case.

Iā€™ve had the same problem on Dell Latitude e7250 with Intel HD 5550 until I added additional 8 GB RAM stick and in effect my RAM started to work in dual channel mode. Earlier, I had only one RAM chip 8 GB and it worked in sigle channel.

Intel HD 5500 havenā€™t got own memory and uses RAM of computer and assuring the RAM works in dual channel doubles bandwidth of RAM.

Iā€™m surprised because difference of GPU performance is significantly more noticebale on Linux. For example, on single channel RAM on Linux Mint Xfce i had merely about 2000 points on this test.

On Windows 10 I had about 3000 points.
After adding additional 8 GB RAM, i have about 3200 points on Linux Mint XFCE and about 3400 on Windows 10.

Two time win 10 dif score?