After nvidia installation system wont reboot

yes

Perfect glad it’s working at least. So now you have both graphics working and system is working. It may have just had something messed up. Use it for now and see what you want to do.

2 Likes

you guys were truly awsome thank you so much!!!

4 Likes

@Trekkie00, you encouraged me by this post. I had the same non-booting system after I installed nvidia through nvidia-installer-dkms. I was about to reinstall endeavouros when I remembered that I could browse the forums in usb live (or is that what it’s called?). So, I read through this thread, and very quickly got the solution through @joekamprad reply to you here.

This forum is really a gold mine, and you the mine keepers have carefully scattered gold nuggets throughout to enrich us noobs.

Many thanks.

2 Likes

This solved the problem for me: simple! Ctrl+Alt+F2 to log in as root, then sudo nvidia-installer-dkms -n. And there I was in deep despair about to reinstall eos, when the solution was just @joekamprad’s trademark eos K.I.S.S.!

A question, though: So, nvidia-installer-dkms does not (yet) install the correct drivers for my intel-nvidia cards (9b41 Intel UHD Graphics and Nvidia GeForce MX130) in eos?

Linux Mint successfully updates xorg nouveau to the Nvidia 440.x driver and makes these cards work on my system. LM, though, has only very recently solved this problem as their forums could not give a solution to it for a despairingly longish time–until their recent installer updates just did it.

The EOS advantages over LM here are two at the least:

(1) EOS has the graphics cards and the wifi working right out of the box, even from the live usb installer session, while LM has to upgrade after installation before the graphics and the wifi work.

(2) The EOS forum is filled with people so kind, caring, and patient to guide perplexed and despairing noobs like me and the OP all through solving our issues which, in hindsight, have really, really simple solutions.

All I really want to say is, simply, thanks, EOS team.

5 Likes

Just posting my own experience here, but my new RTX 2060 laptop had the same problem with not being able to boot into a graphical environment when trying to install through nvidia-installer -b or nvidia-installer-dkms -b, and after hours of troubleshooting all I had to do was install the nvidia package! As is, it seems to be running fine with optimus-manager-qt too.

Many thanks to the Optimus Nvidia GTX 10xx Guide, sometimes the correct solution is the simplest one. :smiley: