After installing the Decentraleyes Firefox addon my EndeavourOS install is reported as Windows 10

Is it not possible to do this with a command ? I will learn something new.
IMHO we need a “list of top 10 things to do after installing EndeavourOS”. New users will benefit from it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mirrors

New users should read through the EndeavouOS wiki almost everything you need to know is in there.

2 Likes

Yes, maybe they’re not synced. Your mirrors are listed in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist (if you change them, remember to use pacman -Syyu to force a refresh, otherwise the usual pacman -Syu is ok).

I use reflector to get an up-to-date list (Endeavour’s welcome screen does something similar):
sudo reflector --verbose --protocol https --age 8 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort score --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

As per the wiki I installed the pacman-mirrorlist package but after installation I didn’t find the command

$ sudo pacman-mirrorlist
sudo: pacman-mirrorlist: command not found

I didn’t want to bother you anymore so I used the welcome screen & now I see all these new updates

$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                            133.6 KiB  56.6 KiB/s 00:02 [--------------------------------] 100%
 extra                          1564.7 KiB   271 KiB/s 00:06 [--------------------------------] 100%
 community                         5.6 MiB   551 KiB/s 00:10 [--------------------------------] 100%
 multilib                        149.6 KiB   156 KiB/s 00:01 [--------------------------------] 100%
 endeavouros is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (17) ca-certificates-mozilla-3.68-1  firefox-90.0-1  js78-78.12.0-1  less-1:590-1
              mkinitcpio-30-2  mpg123-1.28.2-1  mtools-1:4.0.32-1  nss-3.68-1  pacman-6.0.0-4
              python-setuptools-1:57.2.0-1  qt5-base-5.15.2+kde+r210-1  smbclient-4.14.6-1
              systemd-249-3  systemd-libs-249-3  systemd-resolvconf-249-3  systemd-sysvcompat-249-3
              thunderbird-78.12.0-1

Total Download Size:   146.21 MiB
Total Installed Size:  595.50 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        0.06 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

@LoneWanderer
Problem solved.

2 Likes

That is great! Blocking fingerprinting as some mentioned is a good thing and I also use decentraleyes, great add-on. Now the website can’t detect your OS and just thinks it is some generic Windows 10.

1 Like

That is because it is not a command. It is just a list of the mirrors.

The most common way to adjust your mirrors is reflector. See here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Reflector

Alternatively, you could use rate-mirrors which is simpler and usually faster.

Lastly, you could do what you already did which is use reflector-simple from the welcome application.

1 Like

All links bookmarked for future use.

1 Like

Why? I don’t really want someone telling me how I should setup my computer. And we’re not geared towards new users, we’re an intermediate, terminal centric distro. You should know to update mirrors. It’s got it’s own button in the welcome app, and it’s in the wiki if you’re newer still.

I don’t have any data to prove this to you but the userbase that this distro has is not only because of its good qualities. Its because of this forum. I agree this is a terminal centric distro for intermediate users buts whats the harm in making it attractive for newbies ? Ubuntu too has solid documentation despite that sites like omgubuntu exists. They exist for a reason. If a new user is asked to RTFM he will just move to another distro. We live in a democracy so we have choices.

Part of the problem is that the list won’t be the same for everybody, so it can/will be confusing. If the list was the same then those 10 things would be baked in already and nobody would need to do them.

2 Likes

I’m not saying you couldn’t make your own top 10, and everyone should still read the fine manual. Go ahead!! The realty is even if you make a top 10, most won’t find it. And we are attractive to newbies who want to progress already. I just don’t want to try to be everything to everyone. It’s how you become mediocre and lost because you’re never really that good. There’s already very good newbie Arch distros available, we wouldn’t be special anymore.

1 Like

We have this topic:

By that logic we shouldn’t have any tutorials at all. Just because we are terminal-centric doesn’t mean that we don’t want to support new users.

2 Likes

It’s just part of the distro mantra.

That’s why I said if they want to make their top 10, they should. I’m saying there shouldn’t be an official “top 10 post install.”

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.