Add/Remove Software?

I think I burned my first linux iso (mint) with it, but I don’t remember pretty well… Since then I’ve been always using dd which is easy (just one command) and simple.
But it kind of highlights how different everyone’s perception is on what is common set of programs that should be preinstalled.

https://endeavouros.com/docs/installation/create-install-media-usb-stick/

1 Like

I’m not saying it should be preinstalled. I’m just saying that a lot of people use tools for creating usb live iso and they have problems when they go to install. I have used etcher and never once had any issue with a live usb that it created.

I have used etcher a lot as well, but have removed it from this Eos install.
It takes ages to build every update on my rig.

Now I’m using Disks when needed.
Or dd.

I always use Suse Image Writer

1 Like

I also use image writer (OpenSuse) for years without fail.

The only advantage of Mintstick is that you also get the USB Stick Formatter. It’s a quick formatting tool, so you don’t need to mess with the KDE Partition Manager.

it’s the same with suse studio imagewriter

the package you need to build minstick is: python-pyparted

yay -S minstick,and it works

1 Like

@JR29
Yes, that also worked like a charm, and I also didn’t have to use the AUR!
Now my question is can I install any program that is not a core package by using the “yay” command and bypassing the AUR all together, for example Dropbox? Also would that make it any safer to use in a long haul when it comes to updating?
You know when it comes to AUR, it’s a question of when if something is going to break!

it all depends on the maintainer on aur

yay installs things from the AUR(and/or the repos) so you are not really bypassing AUR, you are just accessing it in a different way.

Another great way you can use yay is by type yay <search>. For example, yay firefox will give you a list of all the packages related to firefox and then you can just enter the number of the packages you want installed.

1 Like

Okay, I’ve installed the mintstick and dropbox via AUR. Am I gaining anything by uninstalling it from AUR, and reinstalling via yay?

No, it is the same thing either way. yay is just a different tool.

Okay, I finally got it.
This is a fantastic community, and I’ve already learned a lot! :smiley:
Thanks to every one pitching!

I’ve had better luck with Mintstick than Suse Imagewriter personally.

It never failed on me with ‘dd’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally i have found etcher on linux foolproof. I don’t create linux live ISO’s on Windows. I try to always use Linux.

1 Like

One thing about EOS is that it is a very minimal installation. It is the very first Linux distro which did not have VLC installed, and I do call that minimal.

Arch users (and we are all Arch users) complain about Manjaro being “bloated.” The hardline Arch community wants as few programs as possible preinstalled in an OS.

I think Manjaro is the new Ubuntu, seriously; it’s just as user-friendly and easy to install, and a computer illiterate friend had me replace a badly infected W10 system with Manjaro MATE. He figured it out immediately, so as far as beginner-friendly, that’s proof.

What Manjaro has been for me was a perfect training ground to the more pure Arch experience EOS gives us. I would not call it a beginner’s distro. At 71, I’m having more fun with Linux than ever.

4 Likes