Add/Remove Software?

Out of curiosity why pama-gtk is not installed by default similar to Manjaro and Arcolinux? That gives you a whole new set of options and customization!

Endeavor is is much closer to archlinux. You have even more freedom to decide what packages you choose to add to your system as opposed to having to remove bloat your don’t want or need.

5 Likes

you must not forget that you are on a beginner’s thread

The problem with pre-installed packages on any Linux distribution is it is impossible to get it right for everyone. No matter which packages you pre-install, it will never be right for everyone. One person looks at EOS and says “Why is it filled with all this bloat I have to strip away?” The next person says “Why is it so minimal? Shouldn’t it at least include (insert a list of packages here)?”

4 Likes

Fare enough, as I know what do and how to install that!

Thanks,

3 Likes

I personally would rather prefer not to have more packages preinstalled than it is now, but, even though the reasons stated above are absolutely fair, I do think that GUI-based friendly package installer is a bit different thing than other packages (which may vary according to the needs of different users). And it would be far easier for more experienced users to remove it, if not needed, than for beginners to install it in the first place. I know that including it with ‘base’ would make a lot of people unhappy, but maybe having an option in the online installer is not such a bad idea?

If they did someone would just say why don’t they also include octopi :hugs:

See how it just becomes a snowball rolling down a hill? :yum:

2 Likes

Hi @fhins fhins, first of all, welcome on the forum and thanks for giving us a try.
We have been asked this question before and our reason is simple:

Although Pamac is a wonderful tool to begin with, it has one major flaw: Every single update it receives comes with the anxiety if it will survive the update,
When we ship it by default and Pamac breaks (Which isn’t a rare occasion) most users shall be feeling lost, since they rarely use the terminal.

The core of Archlinux is Pacman and it is rock solid, by getting acquainted with the terminal commands (and to make things easier we do ship the AUR helper Yay by default) from the start, we provide you the opportunity to understand the system better and not get too reliable on GUI services.

Having said this, we don’t look down when you download and use Pamac yourself. When you download and install it yourself, your attitude towards Pamac is different than when we ship it by default.

The way it is now, you’re more willing to think in solutions than wait for the dev’s app to release the fix. :wink:

5 Likes

@Bryanpwo,

I’ve been using KDE for more than 10 years now, and I have tried just about all distors out there. Finally I went with Antergos until they when out of business. Then Arcolinux came along, and recently I gave Manjaro another try. I’m no expert, but I can fairly find my way around. I generally install the LTS kernels for more stability as soon as I install the OS, and I have no clue how to do that via terminal, or even pick the latest lts kernel. Therefore add/remove program comes extremely handy, and also the ability to downgrade a package should you need to do that. Also certain programs that is only available via AUR such as Zulucrypt.

Discover works for most basic programs, but it’s missing a lot of stuff and that’s why I never use it for installing programs. I tested the Endeavour Os on a virtualbox first, and now I’ll be installing on my actual hard drive and give it a serious try! I also think Endeavour is missing a lot of KDE users who have no clue that you also offer Plasma, as I discovered Endeavour by accident in an Arclolinux forum!

Thanks for your input.

1 Like

To install the lts kernel from the terminal is not hard as EndeavourOS install the current latest kernel as default. You can install the lts kernel via pacman and also install the headers. You can do it all in one command.

sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers

1 Like

I removed pacman, and the system would not have let me remove pacman were it a current dependency. That’s standard Arch protocol.

Or am I that wrong? Yay works the way it should, without pacman installed.

It is very convenient to use the same commands pacman does, and, when you enter

yay -Syu

it will search the repos, then the AUR. It upgraded my chrome-stable package and a couple of packages all from one command.

Probably.

Try running this to check:

yay -Qs pacman

Blockquote

yay -Qs pacman
local/pacman 5.2.1-4 (base-devel)
A library-based package manager with dependency support
local/pacman-contrib 1.3.0-1
Contributed scripts and tools for pacman systems
local/pacman-mirrorlist 20200207-1
Arch Linux mirror list for use by pacman
local/pacman-mirrorup 0.3.0-1
A service to retrieve the best and latest Pacman mirror list based on user’s
geography
local/reflector 2020.3-1
A Python 3 module and script to retrieve and filter the latest Pacman mirror
list.
local/yay 9.4.6-2

Blockquote

:frowning_face:Yes, it’s still installed.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Still, yay does both the packages and the AUR, and apparently always has.

Not the first time I have put m big foot in my big fat mouth… :hot_face:

2 Likes

Personally I have stopped using pamac (I don’t even use an update indicator anymore). I go to the Arch linux package search homepage and search for a package there, works just as well as using pamac, and then use pacman to install it in the terminal.

That is NOT saying you are wrong for wanting pamac installed, btw; all I am saying is that the Arch Linux pages provide a search function for packages (which I believe pamac takes it’s package descriptions from).

Btw I prefer pamac-aur-git, it’s the version that works best for me if I use it and it’s maintainer is on these forums.

2 Likes

I was able to install Endeavour KDE on my computer without any problem. I like the idea of keeping it simple, but I think common programs such as Mintstick, Dropbox, should be a core program. I had to install it through AUR. How ever I ran into a conflicting package issue when I was trying to install the Mintstick for burning iso on a stick. I was able to resolve it by installing the Python-pyparted first, and then complete the installation. Also Hunspell-en_US should be installed as an option when you’re installing Libireoffice. My observations are simply based on my experience with similar Arch KDE based distros. Other than that no problem!

1 Like

you have Suse studio imagewriter which works very well, if you want

what’s wrong with dd? :thinking: It’s preinstalled…

1 Like

Hello @fhins etcher is the best on linux as far as i’m concerned. I have had zero issues using it and have made hundreds of live usb with it. Never any issues …never any errors. Dropbox is something a user would have to install. EndeavourOS is set up to install with the basic packages required to get you up and running an Arch install. The rest is up to the user to decide what software they want.

Nothing wrong with dd if you want to use it. I’m just not that familiar with using it as i have always used etcher on linux.

1 Like

you’re on a beginner’s thread, don’t forget, thank you

1 Like