A new system - a new discovery

Hi, all… okay, so I’m not actually an endeavor OS user… currently, my only distro is Archlinux… I just couldn’t help but notice how friendly and helpful some of the moderators are… and that’s actually the point right?.. correct me if I’m wrong, but how do you learn if the ones who know more AND only so, because they got there way before… you did, I find some if not a lot are rude and unbearing in those forums… distro should not separate linux users… well, my thoughts. So, if I could stay and learn where I can that would be great… if not, I have no issues… this is endeavor and rules are rules… bye for now

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

I am sure that you aren’t the only member of the community who isn’t running EndeavourOS.

Enjoy your stay here.

2 Likes

Really… ahh brilliant hahaahaa… no I just mentioned due to arch being “you must use arch or perish”… so I just pyt my cards on the table…and thanks… Best news!

1 Like

Welcome Aboard!

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah I only use Archlinux cause I’m a sucker for punishment… hahaha… my first Linux distro was Linux mint… but, moved to using arch cause it’s interesting nothing more… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, so before I chew everyone’s focus away…I was browsing through search results… checking different references on kernel compiling… (had I known, I wouldn’t of dared hahah) got a Linux-clear intel(R) on the go… and I noticed how helpful your one user/moderator was and I had to join

1 Like

I was on these forums for like a month dual booting between Pop!_OS and Solus on my laptop before I felt comfortable enough to make a full switch over to EndeavourOS. During that month I had asked a few questions I had about EndeavourOS and Arch in general and a few issues I noticed. I was testing out EndeavourOS in a VM then and no one gave me any issues, I just had people that wanted to help me out. This forum was actually one of my main reasons why I gave EndeavourOS a full go. Having a vibrant, supportive community behind your back really helps and gives me a sense of a peace of mind that I just don’t get with certain other distros.

3 Likes

I can certainly second that notion friend… like I said… I was just browsing results and felt compelled to join cause of the seemingly genuine support to those eager to learn and those who are yet to learn BUT keep on matter their moment of “not knowing” which we all know doesn’t last beyond that point… I’m studying software engineering and attempting to juggle software development on the slide… hahaha… here is comforting in a way, I have no doubt if I have a question I’ll be most likely helped… instead of told my title is not adequate for the thread :confused:

Dual booting… what is the purpose?? I’m unsure as to why or howcome it’s practical… does it increase performance or?.. (asking for a friend)… hahaha

welcome and enjoy your stay here

1 Like

It doubles the number of updates you need to do. Is that considered increased performance? :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hahahaha! We going to call this one solved? Lol

I can’t speak for why everyone chooses to dual boot, but I’ll just say that for myself and my own experiences. I like Gnome and Budgie and I got two different experiences between Pop and Solus and I liked both almost equally, so I was torn which one to use. Pop offered me a headache free setup with my Nvidia/Intel, but Solus allowed me all the latest software and kernels and I used it mostly on unstable to help test and find any bugs. Pop was more of the times when I just wanted something to work and Solus was for having fun testing and tinkering so to speak. Hopefully that makes a bit more sense. Though nowadays I just run EndeavourOS and that’s all I need :wink:

Welcome to the forum!

There is almost no difference between vanilla Arch and EndeavourOS. It’s mostly cosmetics, and some (very few) pre-configured settings and default packages. The most notable difference is that EndeavourOS adds a tiny custom repository with some helpful utilities, scripts, and theming. EndeavourOS intentionally stays very close to Arch – it is, for the most part, an easy way for newbies to start with Arch (by having a nice GUI installer and a handful of helpful utilities). To have a functioning system, you really don’t need any of that, it’s just something that most EndeavourOS users find convenient.

So, if you are using vanilla Arch, and are happy with it, there is, practically speaking, very little to gain if you decided to convert it to EndeavourOS.

The best part of EndeavourOS, and something that makes this distro truly unique and special, is this forum and the people on it. And if you are running vanilla Arch, you can fell right at home here, for the reasons I already stated.

3 Likes

Ahh okay… for those reasons… I can see how it has its uses… I read that some people triple boot and several boot (exaggeration) and I thought… geez… no wonder this one is having trouble just getting grub to work, but all that booting has not crossed his mind at all as a possibility when it comes to his “continuing problems”… I’m running an old Dell i5-5250U inspiron 5558 4GiB 2015 beast (not really) haha… but she helps me run my programs and does everything software related no problem… so I’m humble… I’ve only installed archlinux 20 times easily in the beginning buuut… now that I know the “secret” which isn’t really, hahaha… just make sure you bootctl update after making your boot/arch.conf and boom… you will boot up no problem… I spent days figuring out not everything is installed and magic it’s configured:/ haha

1 Like

Hey! Yes, honestly… and it’s just because I’m straightforward… the general atmosphere is waaay to far fetched for the under seasoned meal being served… moving on… I just like having what I want and need on my system… I do use the console for 90% of all my doings haha… it’s addictive damn… but, I just throw in startxfce4 and then I have a GUI at my disposal and it’s nice… distro is no different from its twice removed brothers… (tough crowd)… we all have our reason why linux is our go to… it makes sense the vast options will be explored and why not right?

Vanilla… I’m new to the jargon… but, vanilla meaning not scripted? Or like plain?.. or

Okay, so… I do have a legitimate question… what’s the best way to go about compilers… and what is there so many for… do I install all? (Which just kinda seems like a stupid conclusion or do I pick one of the many and so forth)

Your Croatian? My brother is Croatian, from his dad’s side haha… Nice!

1 Like

Plain, basic, stock, etc :wink:

1 Like