A heads up to those who use mac machines. Their recent machines seem to be over using swapfiles, leading to degradation of the internal, non-replaceable, SSDs

And other 10 things companies use to lie to you. Number 4 will shock you!

Agreed, I have always built my own PCs, and as for laptops, Lenovo have been great for Linux for me.

LOL no.

And we finally get to the point.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not defending Apple not even a apple lover but facts are facts push fit joints are a joke on high performance electronics.
But it does The solder is silver solder the best conductor Metal lugs and even Gold plated lugs corrode and become resistive after a time span of just months not years, That causes data loss and early fails.
Look you guys try to be clever and Knock Apple, I do not get it if you donā€™t like apple donā€™t use it it is that simple,

I also build my own as well for over 20 years

Depends what you call short 10-20 years, Early spinners only lasted 2-3 years but then my oldest is from 2006 and not a bad sector I even turned the counter off after 1.5 ml starts.
The average user buy new every 3 years or so.
My oldest SSD is 4 years old and sitting at 95% health no bad blocks its a kingston its already past 3 year warranty seeing linux is known to thrash SSDs perhaps it time to slate Linux for a change and yes it has swap on the drive

1 Like

I do a lot with electronics.
At home yes it is not viable to repair small things that are soldered but in a repair shop its done daily .
You guy need to go to the Computor plaza in Lima they do these repairs while you wait in front of you including Macs and apple phones, the biggest fails are android phones with those ribbon connectors but its simple just make a new one from another.

1 Like

The reason why soldered ram is a thing is cost and manufacture efficiency. Employ a machine to do the process and automate and you take out any element of human failure. It also has the added bonus of locking users into a device that is far harder to repair out of the scope of a maintenance agreement. For Apple itā€™s just an unforeseen benefit in an already margin-heavy roadmap.

1 Like

It is also something that laptop manufacturers have moved away from. 10 years ago it was still common to buy mid range 15 inch laptops that was non upgradeable except for the hdd. These days virtually all midrange laptops have empty Ram bays for upgrade and often even an empty secondary bay for a second storage unit.

If you go down in size to say 13.4 inch laptops the second storage bay is not going to be there obviously but buying a bigger storage unit or add more Ram is not uncommon.

Unless you are using a Mac of course.

1 Like

So you donā€™t have any evidence or case studies that directly prove your point and just making up un-confirmed excuses? Bring actual data that actual soldered components bring better irl performance. Then weā€™ll talk.

Wrong. you would realize this if you read the article. A typical high-quality SSD is rated to work for 150TB of reading and writes. This specific issue causes unnecessary reads and writes. Around 15TB a month. Which equates to about 2 years until the machine potentially goes bad.

Instead of conjuring theoretical BS, why not bring in some actual data that we can direct and discuss?

Edit: It would also help if you could make cohesive English sentences that make sense, but I digress /s

1 Like

These are some extreme numbers and makes me wonder where the screw up is. Is this hardware or software based?

I mean Apple have a bad history (admittedly on phones) with new OS versions seriously causing harm to the hardware, like halving battery life because bugs etc.

My point is that this seems to be a compability issue between the Apple Exclusive hardware and the Apple Exclusive OS. Which isā€¦ embarassing for Apple to say the least.

This is a new issue. Still in investigating stage, and mostly seems to only affect the M1 models. Iā€™m sure more information will surface as time passes. Apple will either fix it or ignore it, blaming the user for misuse, like the iPhone 4 or the iPhone 6. ā€œYour holding the phone wrong!!!ā€

3 Likes

I am sure Apple will give everyone a free SSD replacement.

(deadpan delivery)

2 Likes

Yeah, like the one time in 2012 where the GPUs failed due to bad solder. Oh wait, they ignored the issue and refused to repair thousands of uses that had that issue! What was I thinking!

2 Likes

It does not have to be proved by me its a fact mechanical coupling is the worst type of coupling silver soldered give the lowest resistance and longest life, please donā€™t show your lack of knowledge computors use nano volts any drop of a couple nano volt causes untold reliability problems, I fact just a finger print on a connection or component, or body static can render it dead

Do you write 15TB a month every month i very much doubt it, i can write that in a couple of days processing films, music, pictures, you just play, and thrash the SSD to death with games.

https://www.solarwindsmsp.com/blog/ssd-lifespan Read it yourself donā€™t ask me to do your research 10 years ave life span but like everything else depends on use its all hyper theoretical,
According to you my Kingston should be long dead as its over 4 years old 4 years old its only used 3%of its life,

i was using and building computors 20 years before you were born.
I donā€™t have to explain myself to you as i have nothing to prove.

For average Joe 15- 20 years is more than achievable, for users that constantly reformat well it could be down to 2-3 years, Donā€™t you get it i have Arch Linux on one SSD the same arch I installed on a HDD in 2004 then used clonecila to transfer it onto this SSD, I use a HDD for playing a HDD for data, i really donā€™t need to explain to the likes of you no disrespect intended

2 Likes

Since we have already had two posts in this topic flagged and this doesnā€™t seem like a topic that should be this controversial I would make a couple of requests to everyone going forward.

• Try to stay roughly on-topic. This about a potential with issue where excessive writes may be generated which could impact SSD life beyond what is normal for SSDs.
  • Treat each other with respect. There is no reason to hurl insults around over a reported issue with Apple computers.

For now, lets slow this one down a bit to give cooler heads an opportunity to prevail.

4 Likes

Now, the problem here, really, is how much difference is there between the two. is it large enough to see a consumer benefit? Perhaps you are they know it. And I can see how a directly soldered component, may have less resistance than having to go through a socket. All Iā€™m asking is if this is actually noticeable, are there any studies on the subject that would confirm your opinion?. As it stands currently, all we have here is a single man against a plethora of users who are tired of having perfectly usable machines go to waste over a bad SSD, or Ram component that could have been a cheap 50 dollar fix 4 years ago.

Again. Read the article. The aggressive swap file behavior is whatā€™s causing abnormal reads and writes, not your typical use case, degrading the SSD even further.

And thatā€™s what the confederates said 70 years ago.

1 Like

Seriously enough already.

2 Likes

Might be useful :wink:

1 Like

What has US politics got to do with SSDs failing really.

The difference is huge as a poor interference connection causes resistance and arcing. Why do you think users are advised to check ram seating, cable seating, or any component that plugs in for bad connections, due to vibration they fail micro dirt corrodes the connections, silver solder solves this its clean easy to replace components and they can last twice as long due to working in a optimum environment, the small cost involved saves time money and production. The biggest problem is Apple it canā€™t never do good by non users as its seen as a bad company by non Apple users, No i donā€™t use apple but see the need to support them.
The excessive swapping is not new or exclusive to apple, It was addressed by Ms and Linux has suffered the same problem I did not hear users of Linux disowning Linux or MS users doing the same only NON apple users that use Linux
https://www.linaro.org/blog/bfq-saved-me-from-thrashing/ this was 6 months ago so you see its not just apple that has its share of problems.

Never heard of anyone advising an user to check for that after say 1992. Quite frankly, if you cannot build a secure SSD connection bay in 2020, you are incompetent and should go bankrupt, You deserve no business.

Making a computer non-repairable and non-upgadeable is 100% due to greed, and people like you have swallowed the cool-aid, defending the corporations against the consumers.

1 Like