64-bit ARM for Raspberry Pi 4?

I saw recent announcement on the anniversary.

just worndered if there was a possibility of a 64-bit image for Raspberry Pi 4 coming some time in the future?

4 Likes

There’s already an Arch tarball for RPI 4. Based on that and the current snapshot of the team, I can tell that yes, there IS a possibility of that happening.

(This is NOT an official statement from the development team. I’m in no way aware of the official decisions/discussions. This is just an educated guess)

3 Likes

By the way, I don’t think this is the correct category for this post :wink: I’m sure some moderator will let you know and move it to a more comfortable place. I’ll mention some just in case

@Bryanpwo
@ringo
@Pudge
@joekamprad

Dont know about moving , but @Bryanpwo should make this Announcement & news leveled, not everyone can create a topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

The forum will get a dedicated ARM department very soon.

As for @fracmo2000 question, it will most likely work on the Raspberry Pi4 as well:

https://9to5linux.com/arch-linux-based-endeavouros-celebrates-first-anniversary-with-new-iso-release-arm-port

3 Likes

A Pi 4-version would be highly appreciated, as I’m not a Debian guru (understatement of the year). I gave my son the Pi, and he’s supposed to maintain it himself, with my ocationall help ofc. I try’ed the Manjaro-Plasma spin but it was slow, and the pure Arch is a bit to much for him. :laughing:

2 Likes

A little background on the Raspberry Pi 4b. The Raspberry Pi 4b is capable of running 32 bit or 64 bit software. The devs at Arch Linux Arm have chosen to provide a 32 bit image for the Raspberry Pi 4b. I don’t know why that decision was made, but I am sure there was a very good reason for it. The devs at both Archlinux and Archlinux Arm are very good at what they do and everything they do has a reason.

Having said that, here is a thread on the Arch Linux Arm forum providing a hack to run 64 bit on the Rpi4. I haven’t tried it yet, so no recommendation from my side.

Will Arch Linux Arm provide a 64 bit image in the future? Anything is possible, only time will tell.

Pudge

2 Likes

I have already tested EndeavourOS on the Raspberry Pi 4b. It actually runs very well as far as performance goes. However, one must provide a good cooling solution otherwise performance suffers from CPU throttling. Here is a video on passive cooling for the Pi 4

I chose this solution plus I mounted a Noctua 40 mm 5 VDC fan on the heat sink and connected it to +5 VDC on the GPIO connector. It now runs at 28 to 29 degrees C at idle and about 34 to 35 degrees while watching a MP4 video.

So if considering a Raspberry pi 4b for use as a full blown EndeavourOS with a DE, take into consideration that I spent about $30 USD on an acceptable cooling solution on top of the cost of the Rpi4… The Pi 4b does not come with any cooling solution, which is fine if you are just doing experimentation with robotics, IoT and similar low CPU use.

And lastly on the Raspberry Pi 4B. There is a problem with pulseaudio and the Rpi4. The audio skips enough to be annoying. My workaround so far is to install VLC for all video and audio playback. Then in VLC preferences, go to the Audio tab and change
“output module” to Alsa audio output
“device” to bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 Default Audio Device
Then the audio is perfect.

That’s everything I know about Raspberry Pi 4b so far.
Does a good job with proper cooling and if you are OK using vlc.

Pudge

EDIT: As pointed out by Judd, the Raspberry Pi 4b is available with differing amounts of RAM. My testing on the Raspberry Pi 4b was with 4 GB RAM.

4 Likes

Too bad it does not reach the rest of the world to buy the 8G …py

2 Likes

@Pudge

Here at MercadoLibre de Argentina there is this one:

ML
1 2 3

1 Like

Would that purchase be good?

• the screen:
    pantallaPy
1 Like

As per report, It seems to be good.

1 Like

Which is one of the three devices that I used for testing with EndeavourOS-ARM. Observing htop, ram useage is usually 1 GB or less on the Rpi4.

The three ARM devices I have for testing are
Odroid N2 with 4 GB RAM
Odroid XU4 with 2 GB RAM
Raspberry Pi 4b with 4 GB Ram

All worked well including the XU4 with only 2 GB RAM.

By the way, they are listed in the order of which one works the best for an EndeavourOS with DE system.

The Odroid N2 the main CPU of the N2+ is based on big.LITTLE architecture which integrates a quad-core ARM Cortex-A73 CPU cluster and a dual core Cortex-A53 cluster with a new generation Mali-G52 GPU. On the S922X SoC, the A73 cores run at 2.2GHz and the A53 cores run 1.9GHz. Plus the Mali-G53 GPU is the newest and best of the three I tested. The N2 is 64 bit and Arch Linux Arm provides a 64 bit image for the N2
I have the Odroid N2, the N2+ is brand new and slightly faster.

The Odroid XU4 has 8 32 bit cores Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex™-A15 2Ghz and Cortex™-A7 Octa core CPUs and a Mali-T628 MP6 GPU.

The Raspberry Pi 4 has a 64-Bit quad-core processor all cores running at 1.5GHz and aVideocore VI GPU.

Some fuzzy benchmarks.

Pudge

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, on the Odroid N2 and XU4 you can install your OS on either a micro SD card or a eMMC card.

disclaimer, I am by no means putting down the Raspberry Pi 4b 4 GB. As stated, it does an acceptable job when properly cooled and with VLC.

2 Likes

Will EOS ARM work/compatiable with Raspberry Pi3 ?

Thanks @Pudge for responding and giving me your time!

You can also get here the 8 G:

Resumen

Brand
Raspberry Pi
Model
4 Model B 8GB RAM
64-Bit Quad-Core Cortex-A72 Microcontroller
Operating voltage 5V
Recommended minimum input voltage 4.9V
Maximum recommended input voltage 5.1V
Minimum input voltage limit 4.9V
Maximum input voltage limit 5.1V
Description
Raspberry Pi Model 4B 8Gb RAM, better known as The Hero! The applications that need the most memory are going to be the test for this Raspberry Pi. Build your own NAS, your own server, your game emulator, etc. Nothing is outside the scope of this board.

4K support, dual micro-HDMI output, Dual WiFi, USB 3.0, Gigabit Lan and Bluetooth 5.0

The new 8gb Raspberry Pi is compatible with the latest Raspbian distribution (now called Raspberry Pi OS). Make sure you have updated the Raspberry Pi OS and you can now use your new Pi.

WHAT DOES THE PUBLICATION INCLUDE?
1 x SBC Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB RAM PLATE. Original, in closed box, with instruction manual

ITEMS NOT INCLUDED
-NOT INCLUDES power supply (if necessary, consult)
-NOT INCLUDES SD card

FEATURES

PROCESSOR: Broadcom BCM2711, quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz.
RAM MEMORY: 8GB LPDDR4
CONNECTIVITY:
-WiFi Dual Band 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11b / g / n / ac
-Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
-Gigabit Ethernet
-USB Ports: 2 x USB 3.0 + 2 x USB 2.0
GPIO: Standard 40-pin GPIO header (backwards compatible with previous Raspberry Pi 40 ports).
AUDIO AND VIDEO: 2 Ă— micro HDMI ports (up to 4Kp60) 2-lane MIPI DSI display port 2-lane MIPI CSI camera, 4-pole stereo audio and composite video port.
MULTIMEDIA: H.265 (4Kp60 decode); H.264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode); Graphics 3.0 OpenGL ES.
SD SUPPORT: Through Micro SD card slot for storage and booting of the operating system.
FEEDING:
-5V DC via USB-C connector (3A recommended)
-5V DC via GPIO header (minimum 3A)
-Power over Ethernet (PoE) –enabled (requires HAT POE installation).
USE TEMPERATURE RANGE: 0–50ºC.

1 Like

Theoretically, it should work with Raspberry Pi3. However, I don’t have a Rpi3 to test EndeavourOS on so no guarantees. If you try it, let us know the results.

My main concern is it might be a little slow when on the internet as it only has 10/100 Mbit ethernet. It does have onboard single-band 2.4GHz-only wireless chipset. I don’t know which would be faster. 2.4 GHz wireless or 10/100 Mb ethernet.

Pudge

I have PI 3. Whether EOS for ARM is available for download.

EndeavourOS ARM will be released very soon, we understand your anticipation for the new port, but everything will be clear when the website and script goes live.

4 Likes

No rush on my behalf, I haven’t opened the box containing the Pi yet. :sweat_smile:

EDIT: Not the box it came in; it’s been up and running. I just finished a move.

2 Likes

For those who are interested:

3 Likes