2 txt Documents comparison

Is there a software build in such in “kate” or aur software that can be use to compare 2 text document which might have a few lines different ?
I used to use a software in windows which i can open 2 document in split mode and it will highlight which lines have being modified.
Does kate able to do that ? Kate seems to be a very featureful program, but i have no time to master it yet.
Thx

Hi andrew_ysk, have you searched on google (or duckduckgo, etc)?

4 Likes

Use Meld it’s best GUI diff tool, can compare files or whole folders

5 Likes

Yes, i know there are ways to compare using terminal commandline and Gui app.
I don’t want to install all tools (as it was my habbit to download all and install all just to find out which one is good to use) and make computer slower than it is already.
So, if you guys like some app that can serve the purpose, i would like to use what ppl actually uses. I was hoping “kate” can do the work, but it seems it needs somesort of script to do the work, which i tried, but does not work (just monkey see monkey do, can’t understand how it works), (anyway, my “kate” and the “kate” configured in the forum is not exactly the same, so hard for me to guess which button to click as mentioned in the gentoo forum).
Anyway, i will try out Meld as Keybreak suggested.

This is the first thing that popped up when I ran a search - it lists both CLI and GUI options.

It has screenshots showing what the GUIs look like.

2 Likes

Yes, i have look thru the list. I wish no need to install additional app (lesser the better if possible).
It didn’t mention kate can do the work. And i searched gentoo forum, someone asked the same thing said kate can do diff compare… but need some script input, which i don’t understand how.

And all those gui app from techmint looks so tempting for me to just download all and try them all out (that’s how i behave on windows and on manjaro :slight_smile: ) at the end, the whole system slows down and unstable (because as i install more and more apps… ). Hence i decided not to try all app for a simple work, but i can’t decide (when i decide i will try all) , hence rely on ppl to suggest something they like. Well, something experienced ppl tried should be not that bad :sweat_smile:

I’ll second @keybreak’s recommendation of meld. It’s a good app.

You use vim, don’t you? You might want to check out vimdiff.

2 Likes

No! no, i saw vimdiff… ! I always struggle with vim… one vim is enough… even though vimdiff said it can compares up to 4 files simultaneously. i rather skip it…

1 Like

Meld is best on Linux so far, because it can diff huge files / dirs if you give it enough time, most of other programs would just crash :slight_smile:

And by huge i mean many Gbs :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Sorry, I thought I had seen you mention that you used vim.

I used to use vim occasionally, years ago. I don’t know how I ever survived it. :laughing:

1 Like

Wonderful. I like the sound of that. That’s why my brother suggested me to use vim, because we make huge journal and data on a single file … I used to use several small apps on android to make notes… and as the note getting bigger, they just crash and crash… pissed me off… so i asked my brother for help, he suggested me vim… (because he was in compiler coding work). I struggled for weeks before i manage to use it basicly). so, 1 vim is enough

2 Likes

I do use vim… even now! I survived the ordeal … but i don’t want another vimdiff! :joy:

2 Likes

Since “huge file” was mentioned, i would just like to ask a quick side question.
Anybody do huge “data recording” ? like recording everythings ever need to record … for example, things learnt, knowledge that have read, chemical names, plants name, pest management knowledge… everything… !
And after all those data recorded, you need to be able to find them just like the way you find info on google, but you can’t because os does not behave like google search, they do not have intelligent to know what you want to find out (something that you keyed-in a dozen years ago).
How do you guys deal with such search ? i tried to locate something i know for sure i have stored in laptop (dozen years ago)… but just can’t locate it with os Search feature…
That’s why my brother and i uses vim, because it can accomodate huge data, like Keybreak said : Gbs of data. and in vim, it is just like a huge database, i can search things easily, because they are all located on a same single file (which is like a huge database for search engine).
Anybody do that which i do ? any special way or program or something ?

@keybreak

Which Meld to install ? I always not sure which to get when it comes to yay ! could it be “dolphin meld” : No.6 ?

How to know which to install when there are so many similar or names that are so close to each other ?

[enos-andrew@enos-andrew-pc ~]$ yay Meld
9 aur/jmeld-git 3.2-1 (+0 0.00) 
    Visual diff and merge tool
8 aur/nemo-meld-compare 1.0-1 (+1 0.00) 
    Compare Actions using Meld for Nemo File Manager
7 aur/kmeldb-ui 0.4.0-1 (+1 0.00) 
    Kenwood Music Editor Light replacement for Linux systems.
6 aur/dolphin-meld 20.08.1-1 (+3 1.14) 
    KDE File Manager, using Meld rather than Kompare
5 aur/elster 21.2.0-1 (+3 0.00) 
    Elektronische Steuererklärung - Ein Projekt der deutschen Steuerverwaltungen aller Länder und des Bundes zur Abwicklung de official German software for electronic tax declaration)
4 aur/meld-gtk2 1.8.6-1 (+6 0.22) (Orphaned) 
    Visual diff and merge tool (last GTK2 version)
3 aur/meld-git 3.21.0.2.g3b682e16-1 (+9 1.13) 
2 aur/meld-dev 3.19.0-1 (+11 0.99) 
1 extra/meld 3.20.2-1 (720.3 KiB 3.7 MiB) 
    Compare files, directories and working copies
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)

1 Like

I installed in XFCE with pacman -S meld… only one option with pacman
I didn’t know meld, it’s pretty nice, one more tool in my toolkit :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about Kompare in KDE?

@keybreak
I have installed with sudo pacman -S meld, yes there is only 1 option in it.
But just for the knowledge of it, is the one offered in pacman is the same as No.1 in yay Meld ?
I notice from No.2 to No.9 all mentioned “aur”, only the first one is not “aur”, so should be from arch repo

I don’t know, but if something is in main Arch repo - better use it always, unless you really need something bleeding edge fresh / specific from another AUR version :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Meld is in the official repositories.

1 Like

:slight_smile: i have not install pamac yet. Try to get use of cli first…