YouTube asks me to turn off the ad blocker

That would be, to put it mildly, foolish.

yt-dlp and a video player of your choice is all you need to watch YouTube videos anonymously and without ads.

This is how I do it:

I just copy the URL of the video I want to watch into the clipboard, and press Meta + V, which runs the script above in an opened terminal window, or opens a new one if it can’t find one with only shell running, and in a minute or two (which is probably faster than enduring an ad, but I wouldn’t know, never seen an ad on YouTube in my life :rofl:), the video is downloaded and opened in the video player of my choice, offering me a much better experience, no ads, no buffering, super fast navigation, audio and video equilisers, all the bells and whistles my video player supports (I use MPV and SMPlayer). I can save it and watch it again without redownloading it and they can’t remove it from my hard drive if they decide to ban the user who made it.

They must be idiots if they think I would ever use their crappy embedded video advertisement player at youtube[dot]commercial website! I wouldn’t do it even if they payed me, let alone me paying them for it. :rofl:

1 Like